Hidden Cemetery near Atsion

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
bach2yoga said:
Sure! It was fun!

Chew's Cemetery http://makeashorterlink.com/?J370231D6

Renee

Is this the actual name of it, or are you just calling it that?

Guy

I saw no name for the cemetery anywhere with the exception of an obituary I found online which referred to an Elizabeth Vanaman Scudder as having been buried in Chew's Cemetery; that is all I have to base the name on.

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ok then, I will use that name for all of my records for my future photo's unless I hear otherwise.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

bach2yoga said:
TeeGate said:
bach2yoga said:
Sure! It was fun!

Chew's Cemetery http://makeashorterlink.com/?J370231D6

Renee

Is this the actual name of it, or are you just calling it that?

Guy

I saw no name for the cemetery anywhere with the exception of an obituary I found online which referred to an Elizabeth Vanaman Scudder as having been buried in Chew's Cemetery; that is all I have to base the name on.

Renee

I take that back, the lady whose grandmother was buried there who also emailed me referred to it as Chew's Methodist Church Cemetery. However, she never found out where the church was.

Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Renee,
You beat me too it! I"m quite a civil ar buff myself and for the life of me I can"t remember a battle being fought in NJ. Was it the battle of the Pines? Oh thats right that was in Virginia in 62 when McClellan was fixin on takin Richmond which didn"t pan out as planned.:) Just joking of course.Their is supposed to be a civil war cemetery in bridgeton behind a friend of my mothers house in the woods next to a creek.I"ve been invited over to check it out.she says she"s not sure where it"s at.she has a couple hundred acres of woods and swamp and has never been back too it but the local kids tell her it"s there.I think she wants me to find it for her.Some day I"ll have to do that.It may be a kids tall tale or a cemetery of another sort.Maybe I should go before spring.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am going there this morning and will check it out also.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

manumuskin said:
Renee,
You beat me too it! I"m quite a civil ar buff myself and for the life of me I can"t remember a battle being fought in NJ. Was it the battle of the Pines? Oh thats right that was in Virginia in 62 when McClellan was fixin on takin Richmond which didn"t pan out as planned.:) Just joking of course.Their is supposed to be a civil war cemetery in bridgeton behind a friend of my mothers house in the woods next to a creek.I"ve been invited over to check it out.she says she"s not sure where it"s at.she has a couple hundred acres of woods and swamp and has never been back too it but the local kids tell her it"s there.I think she wants me to find it for her.Some day I"ll have to do that.It may be a kids tall tale or a cemetery of another sort.Maybe I should go before spring.
Al

Laughs, it's pretty unusual to beat you somewhere! But this isn't too far from me, only a half hour or so, and my interest was peaked!

I'm not familiar with that cemetery, but I wouldn't be surprised! Let me know what you come up with!

I have some information that I came across recently re: the entire Maurice River Township area, historical information--a TON of it, old glass houses, furnaces, cemeteries, etc, that I know you will be interested in. I've got so much I've found that I haven't gotten to posting because of college exams, but thank goodness they're done for now.

I found a number of historical inventories, some of which I will post, and also some recent natural resource inventories of various places in the Pines that I had requested be digitized, and am reeling from all of the information, and have ants in my pants, eager to get out there searching again!!! :bounce:

I have been having difficulty uploading certain maps etc because my scanner isn't Windows xp compatible, and my Win98 computer is tempermental. I won an inexpensive scanner on ebay that is WinXP compatible, and once I get it, I will have a ton of cool stuff I can post re: that area.

I did post a fascinating ink drawing of Belcoville munitions in my album the other day. I need to get back and take more pictures of the ruins.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I22E12CD6

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We traveled to the Chew Graveyard this morning. We walked around and I took a few photo's of the stones and the general area. The oldest stone appeared to be pre civil war from around 1820. The newest one was from the 1950's with most of them being named Chew. We were there by 9AM and there were men working just behind the graveyard and they did not bother us at all.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/12202003/IMG_2906.jpg

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/12202003/IMG_2909.jpg

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/12202003/IMG_2912.JPG

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/12202003/IMG_2910.JPG

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Chew Cemetery and Pestletown

I am the guy that bach2yoga spoke with about the cemetery in Pestletown. I know about the Chew cemetery also.
The Chew Cemetery on Chew Rd. is still maintained by survivors of the Chew family. I know one of the caretakers and he told me that his father's family lived in Dutchtown on Rte.206 (where the Wagon Wheel restaurant is today in Atsion) and his mothers family were Chews from Chewtown.
If you look at the early maps of Waterford, the area on Chew road at the intersection of Sandy Causeway is called Chewtown or sometimes Chuton.
At the northwest corner of the intersection you will see a mound in the cornrer of the field with some non-native plants growing out of it.This was a house. If you go down Sandy causeway to the north,there is a few foundations on the east side of the road where people lived up into the 1950's.
According to one of the locals, there was a still in the area and one of the structures held barrels. If you look into the one foundation you will see multiple pillars which could have held the barrels.
The Pestletown cemetery predates the St. Anthony's church in Waterford and there are early references to it in the Cam. Co. historical society in an account of the Woas brothers and Shanes Castle.The stream under Pestletown Rd. is called Woas Branch and on some maps, Nield's Branch.
Mary Nields lived in Pestletown and married one of the Woas brothers.
Her name is on filed maps of Waterford from 1885.
The Pestletown Cemetery is still open for burials and lots are sold by Waterford Memorial Park.
Shanes Castle(the name of the local Knights of Columbus chapter) was supposed to have been on Pestletown Road opposite the cemetery according to the Historical Society.
I have never found any remnants of that structure which was supposed to have been a large log cabin.
Pestletown is supposed to have gotten its name from a family named Pestle the last of which lived in Blue Anchor according to my Chew cemetery buddy.

B

bach2yoga

Chew Cemetery and Pestletown

Hi, there!
It's great tp see you have joined us! You and your wife were most helpful that day, and it sounds like there is still more there to explore!
The road the civil war cemetery was on--that was the road Long a-comin at one time? I happened to come across a book on the Pines last night while at the library called Long a -comin.
Renee

RednekF350 said:
I am the guy that bach2yoga spoke with about the cemetery in Pestletown. I know about the Chew cemetery also.
The Chew Cemetery on Chew Rd. is still maintained by survivors of the Chew family. I know one of the caretakers and he told me that his father's family lived in Dutchtown on Rte.206 (where the Wagon Wheel restaurant is today in Atsion) and his mothers family were Chews from Chewtown.
If you look at the early maps of Waterford, the area on Chew road at the intersection of Sandy Causeway is called Chewtown or sometimes Chuton.
At the northwest corner of the intersection you will see a mound in the cornrer of the field with some non-native plants growing out of it.This was a house. If you go down Sandy causeway to the north,there is a few foundations on the east side of the road where people lived up into the 1950's.
According to one of the locals, there was a still in the area and one of the structures held barrels. If you look into the one foundation you will see multiple pillars which could have held the barrels.
The Pestletown cemetery predates the St. Anthony's church in Waterford and there are early references to it in the Cam. Co. historical society in an account of the Woas brothers and Shanes Castle.The stream under Pestletown Rd. is called Woas Branch and on some maps, Nield's Branch.
Mary Nields lived in Pestletown and married one of the Woas brothers.
Her name is on filed maps of Waterford from 1885.
The Pestletown Cemetery is still open for burials and lots are sold by Waterford Memorial Park.
Shanes Castle(the name of the local Knights of Columbus chapter) was supposed to have been on Pestletown Road opposite the cemetery according to the Historical Society.
I have never found any remnants of that structure which was supposed to have been a large log cabin.
Pestletown is supposed to have gotten its name from a family named Pestle the last of which lived in Blue Anchor according to my Chew cemetery buddy.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My office is located in Berlin which was formerly known as Long-a -Coming.
The current White Horse Pike and portions of the Old White Horse Pike through Waterford and Winslow were known as the road to Long-a-Coming.The Berlin Borough Hall has historic photos on display of the pike as a stage road and the Long-a-Coming Hotel and tavern. They recently moved the hotel to another location next to the Borough Hall.
I have never seen a reference to Chew Road, where the Chew cemetery is, as the road to Long-a-Coming, although it connects directly to the old White Horse in Waterford Works.
From there heading northwest on the old pike will take you to Berlin.