Hiker's Beware

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
My son and his college classmate went camping in Maine last week. They hiked along the Appalachian Trail near the NH border. Last Friday morning, when they returned to their truck, they quickly learned that scum bags even live in Maine. His catalytic convertors were cut off during the night. He was parked at an official trailhead parking lot in a state park with other cars.

Luckily, I was able to get it repaired that afternoon at a Midas 2 hours away. It cost over $900 even with aftermarket converters.

Anyway, I just wanted warn everyone to think twice where you park overnight no matter where it is.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
You also need to be aware of parking your Honda Accord in your driveway overnight. During the night about two weeks go, catalytic converters were cut off from two Accords in the neighborhood next to me, less then 1/2 mile away. This is in Haddon Twp. And; I have a Honda Accord.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
Jeez! My Toyota dealer says they were recently hit for 31 new cars as well.

I was quoted $2500 for OEM replacement catalytic convertors by the dealer if these aftermarket ones don't work properly.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Next they'll be ripping out ground wire copper from telephone poles like they did in the great recession. People are feeling the pinch of the economy.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
I really don't know what they do with them. The guy at the Toyota dealer claims they take them apart because the salvage yards require fingerprints and IDs for complete units.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I have heard there is guy who hikes pines and if he is certain you are the one who ate a meal on the trail then threw your soup cans, soda cans, food wrappers, paper towels, and spent propane canister on the ground, he will clean it up and then dump it on the hood of your car when he returns to the trail head <wink>

Reactions: Ben Ruset