Historic Aerials Update

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you look the 1940 aerials over, you can see some interesting things. This one shows the 4 buildings along 206 on the road to Dave Amato's house.

http://www.historicaerials.com/aeri...690494191322&lon=-74.73917484283447&year=1940

You can also see the building at the bog not far from Hampton Furnace that was mentioned in the the post with the Hanover Park photo's.

http://www.historicaerials.com/aeri...6384704166584&lon=-74.6911847591400&year=1940

It is nice that you now can link to a photo.

Guy

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
lines

The lines really annoyed me too, especially since they blended in to the point where it looked like they were part of the original photo- scarring the image. Note I'm talking in past-tense though, the reason being... the lines are gone! They have bolded and enhanced the watermark, however I think its a much better compromise compared to the smaller watermark and those awful lines.

As for navigation, theres been a 100% improvement.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If it stays as it is now the site is a much better than before. They made some nice improvements. I do hope it is a profitable venture so that the site hangs around.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
How much do they charge for a picture? When I click "purchase", they want me to create an account. I want to know the prices before I go through registering.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I guess it depends on what you want, so in order for them to know how much to charge you, you have to register and order the map.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I guess it depends on what you want, so in order for them to know how much to charge you, you have to register and order the map.

Guy

That's bass-ackwards, not gonna happen. Many sites loose my business because they want to marry me.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
By the way....a weird thing has been going on in the Dover Forge / Ten Mile Hollow area lately. Someone is recreating an old road....bringing it back to life if you will.....by cutting brush and clearing it. It is so strange. They are going through a lot of effort. They destroyed (maybe only temporarily) a place where I think only I knew that a big patch of Pine Barren Gentian grows.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
By the way....a weird thing has been going on in the Dover Forge / Ten Mile Hollow area lately. Someone is recreating an old road....bringing it back to life if you will.....by cutting brush and clearing it. It is so strange. They are going through a lot of effort. They destroyed (maybe only temporarily) a place where I think only I knew that a big patch of Pine Barren Gentian grows.

Could it be part of the new runway project for Miller Airpark?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Could it be part of the new runway project for Miller Airpark?

No, because most of it is on the south side of Dover Road, even extending into Dover Forge proper. I'll do a little photo spread of what I'm seeing. One strange thing about it....whatever they are using to destroy the vegetation leaves no tire marks or signs of heavy equipment...and...there is little growth returning....even in summer. Kind of like an Agent Orange thing.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
No, because most of it is on the south side of Dover Road, even extending into Dover Forge proper. I'll do a little photo spread of what I'm seeing. One strange thing about it....whatever they are using to destroy the vegetation leaves no tire marks or signs of heavy equipment...and...there is little growth returning....even in summer. Kind of like an Agent Orange thing.

Hope its not hunters doing some chemical clearing. Almost all of that is State Park land, I'll ask the maintenance guy next time I'm there.