Historic Highways of America

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by manumuskin, Mar 15, 2019.

1. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

https://www.tschanzrarebooks.com/pages/books/2138/archie-butler-hulbert/historic-highways-of-america
    At his url there is a list of books that detail the historic highways of America.They go for over a thousand bucks hard copy.You can download them free as ebooks from Archive.org.I have also downloaded several sets of civil war books for free as ebooks that would cost big bucks hard copy. If you love old roads like I do the books should be a good read.I"ve already seen old stones mentioned on them. Go to archive.org and punch in Historic highways America and you'll see em also don't stop there,all the books are old but some are quite good.I"ve been reading history books off of here for the past two years.

2. 46er

46er Piney

#2 46er, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    old jersey girl likes this.
  3. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

Don't forget the road to old Kaintuck Al! Though volume VI may speak of it.

4. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

I have an ancestor that went over the Wilderness Road with Boone from the Yadkin Valley.His name was Jonas Sparks and He helped build Boonesborough.His name is on the monument in front of the Fort.He was with Boone when his son was killed along Clinch River.
    There are quite a few old roads here in Cumberland County shown on the Hartman Maps that sections exist.Many have trees in them as big as the rest of the woods and they have the U shaped profile that shows they were Horse and wagon roads.No wheel ruts. I"ve also walked sections of the Natchez Trace in MS that were worn into the ground deeper then I am tall.I do love old roads.

bobpbx likes this.
  5. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

There's a road that heads from Dover Forge over to Giberson's Mill's in Whiting. It is deeply set in places, and I found a mule shoe next to it after a fire.

manumuskin likes this.
  6. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

I see the road on topo.Long straight road , is it still drivable?

7. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

looks like the southern entrance is blocked by a guard rail from dover but the northern go around looks drivable

8. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

The Gibersons end looks tight and grassy but drivable

9. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

Have you ever walked the Causeway from Buttonwood Hill to Batsto through Mordecai Swamp? Regular highway with seven foot circumference cedar growing in it.

10. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

11. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

12. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

No, not drivable. Very narrow too.

manumuskin likes this.
  13. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

No, but I think Gabe has.

manumuskin likes this.
  14. 46er

46er Piney

Al, my son, following GPS, got directed off the Daniel Boone Trail onto a road, Wilderness Rd, in KY when he was a cross country driver. This road was so narrow in places the trailer tires almost hung off the edge. He called me that night looking for a way out as there was no where to turn a 70' rig around. He stopped at some home and the owner helped him out, said it happened a lot. :rolleyes:

You can walk the road the Continental Army took on Christmas 1776. Not much to see on it, but a good feeling will probably come over you.

[​IMG]

John, old jersey girl and manumuskin like this.
  15. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

My kind of road!

16. 46er

46er Piney

Probably best walked in winter, at night, in a blizzard, carrying a musket to get a true impression. But Murphy's Marauder's would probably stop you. ;)

manumuskin likes this.
  17. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

I have a book packed away and I can't remember the title but it is about a guy who is a reenactor and he sneaks out onto battlefieds on the anniversary nights of the battles and sleeps on the battlefields in uniform and has put his self through the suffering they had as best he could by sleeping in the snow without a blanket.He looks emaciated like many confederates did and he is a confederate reenactor. He has done this at Gettysburg a few times.Wish i could remember the title.

18. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

A link here to download the entire Eleventh Edition of the Encyclopedia Brittanica.One of the highest acclaimed editions.Always wanted this set when I was a kid but we never had the money for it.Now it's free as an ebook.If you go to this page then click on PDF or whichever format you choose bottom right and then you will get a drop down menu allwoing you to download each volume.Took me about an hour or a little more.https://archive.org/details/EB1911WMF

old jersey girl likes this.
  19. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

Thanks Al. I am downloading it now.

manumuskin likes this.