Historic sites could lure tourists to South Jerse

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
The Battle of Cedar Bridge

TeeGate said:
http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060520/LIVING/605200320

Discusses the pine Barrens and a Walt Whitman tour among other things.

Guy

Guy,

The group, "...Crossroads of the American Revolution, ...[which seeks]... to uplift the profile of historic places," doesn't deign to mention the "Last Battle of the American War of Independence (Including the 225th Pulaski Massacre Reenactment)" Weekend, September 22--25, 2006, at Manahawkin, on their website...

Although several places (including a couple in New Jersey) would like to have the "bragging rights" to the "Last Battle of the American War of Independence," from newspaper accounts of the day, it looks, much to the chagrin of those in Trenton and Princeton, and elsewhere, that the "Battle of Cedar Bridge" (today in Barnegat Township) was the last battle/skirmish of the Revolutionary War; and the last shots fired in that war were fired by the Burlington County militia as they captured Captain John Bacon at Rose's "tavern" between West Creek and Clam Town (Tuckerton) on the night of April 3, 1783...

ebsi

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
ebsi2001 said:
Although several places (including a couple in New Jersey) would like to have the "bragging rights" to the "Last Battle of the American War of Independence,"
For the longest time I was told the Toms River Blockhouse battle was the unofficial last battle, but it can't be since it happened in spring of 1782.

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
"Bragging Rights"

Stu said:
For the longest time I was told the Toms River Blockhouse battle was the unofficial last battle, but it can't be since it happened in spring of 1782.

Stu,

South Jersey has always been used as a "cheap" source of money (taxes, for the most part) to support the projects and infrastructure of the northern part of the State. However, attempts by persons/groups in the southern part of the State to gain recognition of/attract tourists to historic sites that might jeopardize "the draw" of tourist attractions in North Jersey are usually ignored/"quashed" by our State's lawmakers.

There is a newspaper account of the capture/death of John Bacon, and the "Battle at Cedar Bridge." However, at the time, there were at least a couple of "Cedar Bridges" in the State. Some historians, recognizing that this was, indeed, probably the last battle in our War For Independance would, however, for their own reasons, like to place the battle farther to the north, near Cedar Creek in Monmouth County.

That placement of the battle seems "curious," to say the least, since John Bacon's "basis of operations" was located near what, today, is known as "Warren Grove." Furthermore, the Battle was fought by the Burlington County Militia, out of New Lisbon; and they captured John Bacon at a house, sometimes used as a tavern, between West Creek and Clam Town (today: Tuckerton). Cedar Creek in Monmouth County is quite a distance removed from these areas.

I hypothesize, as do some others, that said "Cedar Bridge" (where the battle was fought) was on the stage road from New Lisbon to Manahawkin. Said "Cedar Bridge," although in Monmouth County at the time, lies close to the border of Burlington County, and John Bacon's "lair," which was supposedly "near Warren Grove," could, in actuality, have been in Burlington County --- thus, not only raising the ire of those in charge of the Burlington County Militia, but also making them, at least, in part, responsible for bringing him to justice...

Curiously, said "Cedar Bridge" lies between the Keith and Lawrence survey lines. The Lawrence line was, I believe (without looking), not even 50 years old at the time of Bacon's capture/death. I hypothesize, in addition, that it was "convenient" for those in charge of Monmouth County, which was, officially, in "East Jersey," to "look the other way," in enforcing the law in that "corner" of the State that some considered as rightfully belong to "West Jersey"...

If the Lawrence Line had been officially accepted, Trenton, today, I believe, would be the capital of South Jersey. As it is, "Trentonians," I have heard, like to think of themselves as being part of North Jersey. Thus, it is of no wonder for some, like myself, that Acting Governor Codey's effort(s) to preserve (and promote) "New Jersey Historic Places" largely neglects or excludes those sites in the southern part of the State...

ebsi

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Great info Ebsi! Interesting thoughts on the matter also. As the discussion pertains to tourism however, I have to admit that I am happy so few people know of the historical significance of South Jersey. This is because I believe that tourism=disaster. Tourism means people and when you bring people into a remote area, well, it is no longer remote. There are people who disagree, even people with the best of intentions. I used to find it frustrating when people in Medford didn't know what the pine barrens were, or when North Jerseyans would think that the barrens were just a bunch of hicks living in shacks. Now I am grateful that so few know of how great it is here. Hey, Basto is cool, I admit, but not half as cool as coming out of a cedar swamp and falling into a celler hole in the middle of the woods that has been reclaimed by nature for 200 years. That is much, much cooler.

Jeff

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Historic Recognition, Tourism and Overbuilding

woodjin said:
...I believe that tourism=disaster. Tourism means people and when you bring people into a remote area, well, it is no longer remote. ... Hey, Basto is cool, I admit, but not half as cool as coming out of a cedar swamp and falling into a celler hole in the middle of the woods that has been reclaimed by nature for 200 years. That is much, much cooler.

Jeff

Jeff,

I hope I don't fall into one of those holes! My father, who was an avid hunter, told me of long--lost developments/places in "The Pines" --- places, evidently with a rudimentary sewage system in place. He talked of water--filled "manholes" (someone had "recovered" the covers [>;-)] and of the danger in hunting in those areas... I've not fogotten that...

However, I'm not talking about tourism/trips into the "deep woods," but, rather, historic recognition of historically significant sites that are protected by, and under the aegis of the State. Yes, it will increase traffic to the area: I don't like that, either, but some things are more important than "inconvenience."

What I dislike, very much, is the overbuilding that is occurring in South Jersey. Jeff, you are more likely to lose your "remote places," due to "overbuilding" than to "historic recognition."

ebsi

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
ebsi2001 said:
Jeff,
What I dislike, very much, is the overbuilding that is occurring in South Jersey. Jeff, you are more likely to lose your "remote places," due to "overbuilding" than to "historic recognition."
ebsi

I hear ya. The Pinelands comprehensive management Plan has provided very strong protection for the most remote areas, but I have watched and been disheartened at the amount of residential development taking place in those areas designated for it. Chatsworth has been growing like crazy, both on the fringes of the town and the far outskirts (along rt 72). The rural areas provide a type of buffer for the outright wilderness. I am concerned that that buffer is diminishing rapidly.

Jeff

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
ebsi2001 said:
He talked of water--filled "manholes" (someone had "recovered" the covers [>;-)] and of the danger in hunting in those areas... I've not fogotten that...

In one of the WMA's in Cumberland County (Buchschutem maybe?) there are signs beside a fairly long section of the road warning you to stay out of the woods due to water filled holes! I always wondered whether that was just BS, but didn't have the time to explore.

Regarding that article however, the message I got was "come to Camden and experience all its beauty and history!" :)

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Chesilhurst

Boyd said:
Regarding that article however, the message I got was "come to Camden and experience all its beauty and history!" :)

Camden doesn't come anywhere close to Chesilhurst for true beauty and history! :D

When I lived in Maple Shade, almost 15 years ago, an outfit, run by one "Abdul," was running day trips from Camden to "beautiful Chesilhurst." As an enticement they were offering a seven--course dinner, too: I heard it consisted of a Polish sausage and a six pack of Colt 45...:guinness:

ebsi

I wonder if "Abdul" is still in business? :rofl: