History of Enduro racing in the Pines.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
I rode in both Atlantic Grand Prix races this year. I'm an ATV guy obviously. Dale Frietas who runs the AGP was the trail boss of a lot of the enduros in the pines. He is trying to give us ATV guys a place to ride and race. Here I am worn out after riding in sugar sand for a couple hours.

Attachments

• gallery_73_42686.jpg
    gallery_73_42686.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 321

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Looks like all the enduro guys are coming out of the woodwork:D the pine barrens are great for riding. For one thing...no rocks!!! Never liked rocks. Just don't care for them is all I am saying (I do like sand stone though). Sand and mud I do like, always have!! there is something about being covered in sand and mud that makes you feel "in touch" with the earth. So, to sum things up: rocks bad, sand and mud good. That is all I have to say on the matter.

I've come to terms with whoop de doos and frequent air filter cleanings (from the sand/dust) a small price to pay for no rocks.

Jeff

flyingn

Jan 8, 2007
I used to race hare scrambles in the mid 70's but was a member of district 6 in pa so I really did not get to race in the pines much but I did ride there a lot then:)

Frank

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
I used to race hare scrambles in the mid 70's but was a member of district 6 in pa so I really did not get to race in the pines much but I did ride there a lot then:)

Frank
Ever ride at Steel City or Bushkill Valley? they were/are district 6 Our last few scrambles were at the hillclimb property in Lower Saucon township on the track started by Steel City MC. We graded over that track to make smoother parking for the hillclimb & later added a Motorcross track that bombed...

In the 50's & 60's we still raced at the clubhouse in Plamer Township [Easton] as local development hadn't become a problem. Eventually we stopped riding at the clubhouse except saturday mornings & the annual field meet to keep peace w/ the new neighbors. Made us clean up the property and improve our building too!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Whoop de whoops!

Its proably a locality thing.

Whoop de whoop...too redundant. Although after about a 1/2 mile whoop de doos are redundant themselves. The "whoop" is the drop as you enter the whoop de doo. The "de" is the impact (note the hard D sound) as you hit the bottom of the dip and the "doo" is the elevation as the bike ascends the other side. Clearly the person who coined the term whoop de whoop was blatantly disregarding the next whoop de doo, or just had really, really soft suspension.:D

On motocross tracks they spread the whoop de doos out enough so you can accurately double jump them and feel secure in the consistancy of their spacing. In the woods they have a tendancy to be inconsistant in spacing and very tight. I would semi-wheelie through them as much as possible if I wanted to go fast but the fatigue sets in quick. Of course, another trick is to ride along the far right or left of the trail where they are less dramatic. Interestingly, if they are taken slow and leisurely they can actually be fun sometimes.

How do some of you enduro racing guys handle them?

Jeff

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Whoop de doos

I found a lake on a topo once and got this brainy idea to drive to it in my car. Now I know what the name of the "car killers" are :)

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
I have always simply referred to them as "whoops." On an ATV you put your butt back as far as you can go, get the front end light, keep the gas on and steady. It is all about keeping an even pace. I was amazed that my ATV can skim right across the top of them. The problem is when you get tired and lose your speed, you get out of sync and then hold on for the ride.

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
Route Sheets

The first Enduro I worked on was Meteor M.C. 500 mi National Sandy Lane Enduro,in 1947.It was a 2 day event and started on Admiral Wilson Blvd in Camden.We had to find a lot of trails to make up the milage in South Jersey.I have most of the Route sheets and results of Enduros that I have ridden.I will post a list of Enduros that most of you never heard of.
Sure nice to know we have some Enduro Riders on this website.

jthomas1479

Nov 28, 2010
endo racing

Hello my name is josh and I am in a class which consist of the history of the oine barrens. I am looking for project ideas and came across the endo racing thread. I have noticed that everybody involved seem to be proud of and also seems like the history of it has been forgotten. I am looking for information on this so i can do a project bring it back to life. thanks please send any storys or pics to joshuaallenthomas@gmail.com or just post it here thank you

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Josh,
you should PM Y-buc-bill. He doesn't get on the forum much but he might notice a PM. He is the real deal. He was riding enduros in the pines before most (if not all) of us were born.

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Y-Buc Bill is deer hunting in Saskatchewan this week. God bless him.
I will forward this thread to him on his personal email for when he returns.
Scott

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Y-Buc Bill is deer hunting in Saskatchewan this week.

No doubt! Hunting in the land of giant Whitetails! Hopefully he is keeping warm and seeing deer. I hope he comes home with a Booner!

Saskatchewan is my dream hunt.

Chris

jthomas1479

Nov 28, 2010
Route sheets

First i would like to thank everybody who has lead me in the right direction for this project. I was wondering if anybody had any info on the route sheets or maybe even a copy of one. would like to see one from 1936 and one from recent years if possable. thanks again for all your help

Josh