Hollow Field Cemetery

pineypower71

Oct 19, 2008
Thanks everyone for connecting with me on my quest for Hollow Field Cemetery. I did find it. It is on the same trail as the Birdsville area, which I was looking for to begin with. I am almost sure that it is not the Birdsville Cemetery, although similar and close by. The Birdsville cemetery was much closer to Dover Road. It was hidden in a thicket and where you could see the road from it, you could not see it from the road.
The kids had a great time and we found snakes and frogs and a mushroom that turns blue when exposed to the air. I feel certain now where smurfs come from!
I would load pictures but when I tried to learn how there was all this code involved and I didn't understand it. Let me know if there is some 101 way to do it.
I am now writting a story called the Ghost of Birdsville. The trip really inspired me and I would like to go back when we can spend more time there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am glad you enjoyed yourself. Now let me help you with your photo problem. First, you need to make a gallery and upload the photo's. If you have problems there write back.

Once you upload them, here is what I wrote another member recently when he was having problems getting them in a post. Remember, this was written to someone else so you need to just link to your photo's in your gallery if you do it that way.

Guy

As for putting the photo’s on the page, you are linking to the super large full size photo and the site will not display it. You need to link to the smaller photo. Here is how you do that. First, you must go directly into your gallery and open the the page that shows your photo in normal size. That would be this page.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/9181

The link at the bottom of that page is the full size link and not the proper one. You need to click on the little computer icon just to the right of that link.

http://home.comcast.net/~teegate1/ed1.jpg

More links will open and you copy and paste in the one that says “Medium Image.”

http://home.comcast.net/~teegate1/ed2.jpg

Now your links will work properly.

Guy

pineypower71

Oct 19, 2008
well.........

well everything seemed fine untill I found 2 of my photos in one of Bob's albums........................how could that have happend?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looking at the recent photo's uploaded, all three of them are in your gallery. And the last one Bob uploaded is in his. So look things over closely.

Guy

Karin Bos

May 23, 2017
Maine
I would love to be able to view the photos of Birdsville you posted, however, I am not able to access them...I am assuming that they are no longer accessible on the link? Thank you!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have had discussions with someone a while back and here is an edited portion of it.

I met (Edited) yesterday and while showing her my maps she brought up Birdsville. She confirmed that (Edited) was correct that he had a place where he sold the houses on Dover Road by Ten Mile Hollow. She said she felt he was the caretaker of Ten Mile Hollow because he made a fake gravesite along Dover Road to keep people confused. He pounded white painted wooden stakes in the ground and everyone thought that was the actual grave which kept the real grave semi safe. However, she said that in the "Images of America" book for South Toms River there are photo's and a few bits of information on the real birdman from that area and he sold the exact same houses in Toms River years before. The photo's were of an earlier vintage so she was not certain it was the same man but it may have been.

Karin Bos

May 23, 2017
Maine
Thanks for your response. Yes there were two "Birdvilles", and from what I can tell, they are not related--the one in South Toms River
[Flint Road at Mill Street] - was built by Albert P. Greim. He built a factory there in 1915 to manufacture bird boxes. To study bird habits he lived in a tree house at first. When he finally built his home, he installed a small chapel and a $10,000 pipe organ. Moravian tiles, made by Henry Chapman Mercer of Doylestown, Pennsylvania, were set into the concrete walls around Birdville and in the case around the organ. Mr. Greim’s birdhouse business was most successful and became known worldwide. Birdville was used for church services, weddings, and borough council meetings. Mr. Greim died in 1933 and there are still portions of the buildings standing.

The Birdville in Berkeley Township (which is the one I am interested in) was supposedly built in 1971 by a Melvin Septor, and it was supposedly 200 feet from the Hollow Field Cemetery. It was supposedly accessible from Dover Road, and there was a nearby sign that read "Dover Forge Park." The member to this forum (pineypower71) had posted that he had photographs, but that post was dated 2008, so it is probably unlikely that he may see my response. My memory of this Birdville was that it was located in the woods and that there were many birdhouses on the trees.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Unfortunately, if you look at @pineypower71 's profile, he joined the site on October 19, 2008 and has not been seen since October 23, 2008. So I agree you probably are not going to hear from him. :(

However you can click on his name above, then click the information tab on his profile page. You will see an option there to "start a conversation". That should result in an e-mail being sent to the address he registered with, so it might be worth a try.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
His email is a Hotmail account and they are defunct.

Kathy_G

Sep 16, 2021
North Carolina
Thanks for your response. Yes there were two "Birdvilles", and from what I can tell, they are not related--the one in South Toms River
[Flint Road at Mill Street] - was built by Albert P. Greim. He built a factory there in 1915 to manufacture bird boxes. To study bird habits he lived in a tree house at first. When he finally built his home, he installed a small chapel and a $10,000 pipe organ. Moravian tiles, made by Henry Chapman Mercer of Doylestown, Pennsylvania, were set into the concrete walls around Birdville and in the case around the organ. Mr. Greim’s birdhouse business was most successful and became known worldwide. Birdville was used for church services, weddings, and borough council meetings. Mr. Greim died in 1933 and there are still portions of the buildings standing.

The Birdville in Berkeley Township (which is the one I am interested in) was supposedly built in 1971 by a Melvin Septor, and it was supposedly 200 feet from the Hollow Field Cemetery. It was supposedly accessible from Dover Road, and there was a nearby sign that read "Dover Forge Park." The member to this forum (pineypower71) had posted that he had photographs, but that post was dated 2008, so it is probably unlikely that he may see my response. My memory of this Birdville was that it was located in the woods and that there were many birdhouses on the trees.
Hello Karin Bos, Stumbled upon your post. Melvin Septor was my grandfather's brother. Uncle Med would take us down to his Birdville whenever we were visiting our grandparents in Lakehurst, maybe as early as the late 60s to early 70s. We'd also walk a trail at Bamber Lake to the ruins of the cabin where they were raised. If you ever found pictures of this area, I would love to see them.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Karin Bos was last on this site on June 9, 2017. Unless she has this site set up to receive emails I seriously doubt you will hear back. However, let's hope that you do.

As for the cabin, can you describe where along the lake you walked to get to it?

Kathy_G

Sep 16, 2021
North Carolina
Oh Lord, I wish I could. I was a child and that was 50 years ago. The cabin was already gone back then, but my mother, grandfather, and Melvin could go right to the spot. That is why i would like to see pictures of the area, to jog my memory. Someday I would like to get back to visit that area.