Hot Dogs

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Nice series of pics. That made me hungry too. I worked one summer in Central Park and had one of those almost every day for lunch. A few of my co-workers who leaned more toward the granola-crunching end of the green spectrum would give me a lecture now and then but I seem to still be kicking. Of course, having spent the first 22 years of my life in Paterson, I have a distinct preference for our own local dog, the Texas Weiner, which oddly enough originates from Paterson, not Texas. Apparently the Library of Congress found them distinctive enough to document:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/paterson/essay6c.html

I have vivid memories of my father taking us to Libbys or Falls View Grill every few Saturdays. I don’t think he ever took us to a restaurant that wasn’t run by immigrants (not surprising, considering that he came from Bulgaria). I heard so many Greek accents growing up I thought Paterson was a Greek colony.

Reactions: Hinchman's Hill
My father ran away from home in Pennsville, NJ, in the summer of 1948 at the age of 15, to earn enough money to buy a car. He went to Atlantic City and took a job selling hot dogs from a cart across from the Steel Pier in Atlantic City. In those days, as he told me, folks like Danny Kaye would walk out to the boardwalk between shows for a smoke, and shake hands and sign autographs. My father also would pas the time watching the man in the straw boater across from him under the umbrella stand, slicing tomatoes all day long to sell KitchenMagicians. Of course, that many was Ed McMahon. Many years later they corresponded and Ed laughed that my father remembered him from way back then. My father returned home after the summer in triumph, first buying a broken 1939 Plymouth, and then trading it for a running 1937 Plymouth to a man who needed a larger car, broken or not. Imagine those entertainers today walking around under the AC sun, smoking and signing autographs...Old times. I'm a huge hot dog fan to this day, and I favor the Ball Park Angus or the Nathan's. Hebrew Nat'l works too, and I try to recreate the chili dogs of my 'Jersey youth.

Reactions: Hinchman's Hill

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
For some reason I get a "page load" error from your link. I like hot dogs too - and Kielbasa even more. But I would not want to see a photo essay about how they make hot dogs. :D

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
For some reason I get a "page load" error from your link. I like hot dogs too - and Kielbasa even more. But I would not want to see a photo essay about how they make hot dogs. :D

The link in the post works for me. Try using IE8 :D No hot dog creation imagery within, just lots of great places to chow down, with a separate section on Jersey Dogs.