How A Forest Was Saved

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You're welcome
On to the CNJ trail again :)

Nice to see you posting again.

Did you know that there was some sort of water tower just west of Chatsworth right along the JCRR tracks? Was there ever steam engines on the rails there?

And have you viewed the steel crossing sign and the old wooden communications wire pole I found for the Blue Comet and maybe previous trains? Are you into that or just the trains?

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Nice to see you posting again.

Did you know that there was some sort of water tower just west of Chatsworth right along the JCRR tracks? Was there ever steam engines on the rails there?

And have you viewed the steel crossing sign and the old wooden communications wire pole I found for the Blue Comet and maybe previous trains? Are you into that or just the trains?

Guy

Hello Guy,

Sorry for the late reply but I just remembered that my e-mail address has changed and I didn't update it. Therefore, I didn't get notification that you posted.

The CNJ had a branch that went out to Atco that crossed over to RT206 so I'm sure that there was steam power in that area and most likely needed water but I would think they would have had a facility at Atco which isn't too far away. Can you share with me the location of the tower? That would help.

Here are some of pictures of my recent outings for exploring trains in Southern New Jersey:

CNJ:

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=CNJ;action=display;num=1093997026;start=0

CNJ/PRR and PRSL:

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=NewJersey;action=display;num=1152047342;start=0

Winchester & Western:

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=GenShorts;action=display;num=1059464623;start=0

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ken,

Normally I would have thought the water tower was for the town of Chatsworth, but the map shows it so close to the tracks that I would have to think it was in their right of way and used by them. The red target symbol on this topozone map is the exact spot the water tower in Chatwsworth is shown on my 1950 topo.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.81698&lon=-74.53805&s=24&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

Anyone have any idea what it could have been used for if not for the trains?

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Ken,

Normally I would have thought the water tower was for the town of Chatsworth, but the map shows it so close to the tracks that I would have to think it was in their right of way and used by them. The red target symbol on this topozone map is the exact spot the water tower in Chatwsworth is shown on my 1950 topo.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.81698&lon=-74.53805&s=24&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

Anyone have any idea what it could have been used for if not for the trains?

Guy

Guy,

Since I'm not an expert with the CNJ yet :), I wrote to several CNJ forums and have had several replies that say "yes". One person also informed me that there's a picture of it in the the book "The Trail of the Blue Comet" I believe it's on page 186.

I will be heading down there sometime soon to explore that area again. Perhaps we can do some exploring there.

Ken

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,

Since I'm not an expert with the CNJ yet :), I wrote to several CNJ forums and have had several replies that say "yes". One person also informed me that there's a picture of it in the the book "The Trail of the Blue Comet" I believe it's on page 186.

I will be heading down there sometime soon to explore that area again. Perhaps we can do some exploring there.

Ken

Ken,

Unfortunately, I do not have that book since I refuse to pay that price for it. I would be willing to bet that they are all giving you correct info.

As for exploring in that area, give me some notice and I will see what I can do. I am busy all through October and maybe even the first weekend in November.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nicely detailed photos. I was out at Whiting yesterday looking at flowers in the weeds and stumbled upon a section of cross track (I don't know what else to call it), about 12 feet long, it was used to allow a train to cross another set of tracks. At least thats what it looked like to me. They are in pretty good shape.

Whiting I think had a turntable at one time.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Ken,

Unfortunately, I do not have that book since I refuse to pay that price for it. I would be willing to bet that they are all giving you correct info.

As for exploring in that area, give me some notice and I will see what I can do. I am busy all through October and maybe even the first weekend in November.

Guy

Guy,

That would be great. I will be in touch in November. Hopefully, those dreaded bugs will be gone.

Ken

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Whiting did have a turntable, They also have that cross track I call them diamonds. I have heard that diamond is the last one to exist from the blue comet era.

That would be the diamond. It allowed the Pennsy to cross with the CNJ. The Tuckerton RR was just not too far away from there that also had a turntable there. The hole is still there.

The bank in Whiting has a nice picture of the station that was there.

Whiting Joe

Oct 9, 2006
Whiting, Near Boyds Hotel
Say Joe, since I found it in the weeds, would that be a "diamond in the rough"?
lol, Where the diamond is now is not the original spot where it was laid. Someone has tried to steal it before.

The bank in Whiting has a nice picture of the station that was there.
Which bank? there is at least 11 in a mile range of each other in whiting.
that is allmost like saying it's next to a tree in the woods.

I have the book someone gave it to my family, otherwise i wouldn't have it either. Would you like me to scan in the pages and post them??

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Good luck to anyone trying to steal the diamond. It weighs quite a bit.

The bank is right in the center of town. I believe it's eCommerce Bank and its right near the gas station.

Did you find the turntable there for the Tuckerton RR?

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Ken,

Guy

Guy,

I understand about the price of the book but if you change your mind, I've seen them for as low as $55 dollars brand new. I'm sure there are some on eBay as well.

The book covers more than just the RR but how it all started in the Pines with the mines. Some of the names in the book are also the names you will find in the Beck books. Great book.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,

I understand about the price of the book but if you change your mind, I've seen them for as low as $55 dollars brand new. I'm sure there are some on eBay as well.

There is one on eBay right now; however, if it turns out like all the others I watch, it will go for as much as you can buy a new one for.

The first frost will kill the chiggers.

Guy