How does this happen?

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Even though bright colors makes sense during hunting season, I don't care what kind of clothing the victim was wearing. There’s absolutely no excuse for this kind of accident. One of the fundamental rules of gun handling is “be sure of your target, AND beyond” And while small game hunters often send their load of shot in the general direction of a flushed bird, having little time to do otherwise, a big game hunter using a rifle shooting a single projectile needs to not only identify his prey, but place the shot in a vital area if he wants to bring it down. That kind of scrutiny does not lend itself to mistaking a person for a bear, or for anything else. As far as I’m concerned that is criminal recklessness, not an accident, and deserves more serious charges than are normally handed out.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Unless the guy was wearing a bear suit, I don't see how the rest of the story could matter. Don't shoot at something unless you know it's a bear.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
What else do you need to know, really?
Ok this is a simple press release Not a crime report. Not sure who really did fire the gun. Is the grandfather covering for the 12 year old grandson? Did these people know each other? Was there a long on going disagreement? The list goes on.There were 4 people out there. This will more then likely be the last we will hear about this Shooting.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
This is a classic example of a negligent discharge of a firearm. It wasn't an accident, it was negligence. This action can be either a felony or misdemeanor, depending on the penal code of Oregon and the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
This used to happen often years ago up in No. Jersey ,Sussex Co to be exact. I had a friend who was shot while bird hunting , thankfully , he was fine . Hunter's dog's were shot as well .It was not uncommon yrs ago for farmers to have cattle or even horses shot ( i'm serious) . Maybe it was the relatively compact area in close proximity to a large pool of hunters , but my point is it happened more frequently than most folks would realize.
Joe

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
This used to happen often years ago up in No. Jersey ,Sussex Co to be exact. I had a friend who was shot while bird hunting , thankfully , he was fine . Hunter's dog's were shot as well .It was not uncommon yrs ago for farmers to have cattle or even horses shot ( i'm serious) . Maybe it was the relatively compact area in close proximity to a large pool of hunters , but my point is it happened more frequently than most folks would realize.
Joe

When I use to hunt small game on state land it was a nightmare at times. I can recall several times being swept by shotgun barrels and having shots pass over my head. When I confronted the shooter(s) the most common response was sorry and a shrug of the shoulders. You have to be blind not to see safety orange.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I had a friend who was shot while bird hunting

cheneypressbriefing.jpg

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
It was not uncommon yrs ago for farmers to have cattle or even horses shot

Duck hunting Rockwood bogs back in '95, I remember Mr. Ford telling me some fellows stopped and actually tried to shoot his Muscovys. That Thanksgiving, my hunting buddy and I got peppered by steel shot... haven't hunted there since.

John-

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
How can a person drive down a highway and not see a train in a train crossing and runs into the train yet it happens everyday

I don't think I've ever seen a report such as that. But I have seen many reports of trains running into people and their vehicles at train crossings.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
In that case, it's the driver's fault for not looking to see that a train is coming. Getting shot by somebody when you're just minding your own business is another thing completely...