How many 4 wheelers/off roaders do we have here?

Matthew

Dec 31, 1969
I was just wondering how many guys are into 4 wheeling on this board...As many of you have read I own a '77 Toyota Land Cruiser that is currently dead in the backyard, but I plan on resurrecting it soon. Just this year it hit "classic" status in the eyes of the DMV, which means I can do just about anything I want to it within reason. I plan on outfitting it as a hardcore expedition vehicle to explore all of those pineland trails I just couldn't when it was stock (But believe me, it went A LOT of places other rigs couldn't even then). So anyway, I was hoping to get in touch with some other 'wheelers and maybe get some building tips (best tires for sugar sand etc...), trail info, and some people to go out with one of these days. It'll be a while before the truck is finished (or started for that matter lol), but the more info I can get, the better.

Later,

Matthew

Z

ZippySLC

Me, but I use my truck more for exploring than for just simple off-roading.

I have a 90 Jeep Cherokee, currently stock except for a roof rack and brush guard. I wouldn't mind a mild lift but there are too many other important things to spend the cash on than my truck right now.

---
NJPineBarrens.com - Exploring the Ghost Towns of Southern New Jersey

traflex2002

Dec 31, 1969
How many 4 wheelers/off roaders

I have been 4 wheeling for 3 years now in the barrens. My first 2 years were in my Dodge Intrepid! I now have a jeep liberty, and have been busy going to all the places I couldn't go the first 2 years. My girlfriend and I are out in the barrens every week, either hiking or 4 wheeling. Just found this forum. Like yourself, we have been looking for the"Blue Hole" I was trying to deciphering the article in "Lost Towns" to figure out where it was. It was great seeing other people doing the same. E mail me and we can trade tales.

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com

I don't go four-wheeling for the sake of four-wheeling. I do it to explore the Pine Barrens, looking for ghost towns and evidence of past human habitation, as well as interesting plants and trees. My 4X4 is an `87 Ford F-150 with 31X10.50 R15 tires (2 sizes larger than stock), which I bought new. It's now in pretty rough shape. I can't afford to do anything to it except maintain it. I can go through most sugar sand in 2-wheel drive, as long as I stay in the existing tire tracks. I see no reason to have auxiliary lights (just something I thought of, that people buy for their 4X4's). I figure if you can't see well enough with your factory headlights then you have a vision problem. I've never understood the purpose in all those auxiliary lights mounted on the top of trucks. I've been out in the woods in total darkness and have never had a problem seeing where I was going.

dogratty

Dec 31, 1969
community.webshots.com

late reply, but just found this site.

We, meaning family, go 4x4ing often, have 92 Jeep YJ, lifted, bigger better tires... and a stocker suburban Z71 that holds it's own pretty for a stock bus! my wife has followed me down trails only my jeep should fit in. Z71 did fine, now has some nice scars - pines scratches along the sides!

we also just explore. i'm still trying to figure out why so many go four wheelin' jes' to see who can stuck the deepest! seems to me that's like a firefighter to see who can not put the fire out the best. getting thru without getting stuck, oir turning around is the goal. but explorations of places i've read about is what we do, well, what I do, my kids just enjoy the cruising and rough ride!

westyvw

Dec 31, 1969
How many 4 wheelerse here?

Talk to a surf fisherman with a beach buggy, they would be able to help you with tires.....