how to delete a single waypoint in garmin etrex 20

mazzgolf

Sep 17, 2013
I'm usually pretty good at navigating electronic devices and computer menus, but this one has eluded me. I have to be doing something stupid, and I'm hoping someone knows the answer.

I have a Garmin eTrex 20 with just 4 Waypoints created. Using Waypoint Manager, I see the "Delete All" menu option - but I only want to delete a single waypoint. I don't want to delete them all.

How can I do this??

Watch this YouTube video -
- starting at the 16 second mark - where I thought this guy would show me - but it appears he has the same issue (though he doesn't talk about it). This is the etrex 10 that he's showing, but my menus are exactly the same and notice he only has the Delete All menu option - nothing about "Delete" or "Delete only this waypoint" or whatever. This is exactly what I see on my etrex 20.

It is driving me crazy that I can't figure out how to delete a single waypoint. Any help would be appreciated.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Have you tried the procedure on page 9 of the manual?

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/eTrex_10-20-30_OM_EN.pdf

delete.png

I think you must first select the waypoint you want, then the option to delete it should appear when you press Menu. I don't have an eTrex 20, but I have a number of other Garmin units and this is how it's done. I'm sure it's possible, as I'm a moderator at GPSReview.net and if this was in fact a bug, we would have seen a lot of complaints. ;)

If you need more help, visit our forum here: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewforum.php?f=21

mazzgolf

Sep 17, 2013
Yes, I have tried that. Well, I thought I did. Watch that YouTube clip I posted - I see the exact same thing.

I guess my question is - what does it mean "Select a waypoint" ?? I just highlight it, and hit the Menu button and all I see are the search menu options and the "Delete All" - no Delete (again, just like that YouTube clip).

If I press the select joystick to "select" it, it takes me to the edit screen (again, just like the YouTube clip shows). So, other than just highlighting the waypoint, is there something else to do to "select" it?

mazzgolf

Sep 17, 2013
OK, I was being stupid :) So, when the instructions say "Select a waypoint", it doesn't just mean "highlight the waypoint in the list", it actually means press the "joystick" which takes you to the edit screen. From *here* you press the Menu button, now you can see the "delete" option.

I guess I was just misunderstanding what the instructions meant when they said "select a waypoint" - I was just highlighting it in the list, but not actually clicking on it.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Cool, glad you found it. This sounds pretty much the same as all my other Garmin devices. But if you're new to this, then I agree it's very confusing. And Garmin's documentation has gotten really poor recently. Such a shame, my StreetPilot 2620 had a fancy spiral bound manual in full color that went in to detail about every funtion. I remember sitting and reading though it, marvelling at all the cool things my $1000 toy could do (circa 2003). The GPSMap 60csx manual was also excellent.

But when the newer generation of devices came along, starting with the Oregon, the manuals got very skimpy and hardcopy was no longer included. I understand that downloadable manuals are the norm now, but Garmin could do a better job.

when the instructions say "Select a waypoint", it doesn't just mean "highlight the waypoint in the list", it actually means press the "joystick"
This is a bit of inconsistency between newer pushbutton vs touchscreen models. On a touchscreen, as soon as you tap something on the list, the edit screen opens. But you have the added step of pushing another button on a non-touchscreen device.