Howardsville Explored

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Bob and I went to Howardsville today. I got some good photos.

The lake at the northern end is really, really nice. Bob noticed that it was free of the usual amount of reeds and lilly pads, and didn't have a lot of fish in it. He thinks that the pH level might be off, which sounds like a reasonable guess. The water was crystal clear and very cool.

There is a large field to the south of that lake that most likely holds a lot of ruins. The grass was really tall and probably full of chiggers so we didn't explore it. Futher down the road that follows the field there is an open area that was plowed with a tractor and planted with grass seed. In this "green field" were a lot of bricks and bog iron. There also was a cool old oak tree, most likely planted by those who lived here.

Around the southern part (topozone.com link) we walked down through the causeways and saw the remains of many wooden water control devices, as well as one that was built on a concrete foundation. Unfortunately it was getting dark so my camera wouldn't take any good photos any more. We'll go back in the winter and scout around.

Here's some of the photos that did come out:
http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_album.php

I can't impress on you the size of the grassy field. It was HUGE. There is a ton of open space back there, and is probably full of interesting ruins. After the first frost when the chiggers are gone, I'll be out there exploring it better.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
those fields of green grass are actually planted winter rye oats for the deer. the state plants them every year around the end of august begining of september. this is supposed to help them through the winter as it will stay green into january.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Guys,

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a really nice place to have lived.

When was the last time someone actually lived there? I can't seem to remember my source but I believe it was in the 1970s. Can this be ture?

As far as chiggers are concerned, aren't you guys accustomed to this by now :lol:

Ken

JerseyJoe

Nov 14, 2003
Manalapan, NJ
hey- im new to the site, but i figured being from "up north" id share a little historical tidbit about the bricks you found marked S&F Co. They were made by the Sayre & Fisher Brick Co. once located in the town of Sayreville (of Jon Bon Jovi fame)- the town was basically built around the factory as the company owned all of the land, and employees leased there houses from the company- the original site of the factory itself is now a development of townhouses on Main St. near Mac Arthur ave- but it is marked by a brick smokestack from one of the furnaces- made entirely of Sayre/fisher bricks. dont know if anyone cares, but it reminded me of when we were kids growing up in the area- we'd always find them- in every part of woods- mostly from when the ammo plant exploded throwing them as far as woodbrige twp.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just was walking into my house from the car and noticed the bricks that my wife's grandfather bought, who was the previous owner of our house, say S&F on them. So they were widely used aparently. Later today I will post a photo of it.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just mentioned to my wife about the S&F brick and she reminded me that I was incorrect. The brick actually came from a school right near my house that was demolished to built a Rite Aid. This school was all brick and was built in the early 1900's. As they were demolishing it we acquired a brick from it. The local firehouse even took quite a few of the bricks and built a small brick memorial in front of their building.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/post/sf.JPG

Guy