Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Hunt for scarce bobwhites may be off in New Jersey
Saturday, December 26, 2009
By Brian T. Murray
The Star-Ledger

Coveys of quail were once more common than the hounds and hunters who pursued them through the brushy fields of New Jersey.

On summer nights, their calls would pierce the air with a whistling, drawn-out screech of "bob-white, bob-bob-white," a song that gave the small, quirky, chicken-like birds the name of northern bobwhite.

"When I was 10 years old, I used to hear them as my grandfather and I sat on the front porch on a glider, one of those big old metal porch swings," said Joe Matter, 59, who grew up hunting quail in the Thorofare section of Gloucester County. "Those were the days of hunting with side-by-sides (shotguns) and Woolrich shirts. We also had more than just a few dogs under foot. It was nothing to kick up 20 to 50 coveys of quail in a day, with 20 to 25 birds in each covey."

Matter said these days when he walks through the fields he's lucky to kick up one flapping, fluttering covey of a half-dozen quail.

Although the bobwhite faces extinction throughout the eastern and southeastern United States, the state Division of Fish and Wildlife released a report this month concluding, "New Jersey's declines are among the most precipitous recorded."

Audubon, the national bird conservation group, listed the quail last year as the number one native avian species in decline, estimating 5.5 million bobwhite remain in the nation, where they numbered 31 million just 40 years ago.

Paul Castelli, a state research biologist, recently unveiled a new state bobwhite action plan that outlined a need to accelerate and improve bobwhite habitat restoration. But the plan also recommended the unthinkable in South Jersey Ð an indefinite suspension of the region's 300-year-old tradition of wild quail hunting.

Endorsed by the game council, but still subject to a year of public hearings, the plan proposes an end to wild quail pursuits by 2011 in areas south of where Route 33 cuts through Monmouth and Mercer counties.

"That is where our wild bobwhite are. About 800,000 acres of suitable habitat remains there, which is about 28 percent of the entire land-mass below Route 33. Right now, only 18 percent of that region is believed to be occupied by wild bobwhite," Castelli said.

A dozen private clubs will be free to continue hunting pen-raised bobwhite they stock annually on private land, and other hunters may pursue birds the state stocks at two wildlife management areas. But to ease pressure on wild coveys, the bobwhite season is to be closed elsewhere.

"This is something we have to do. I don't want my grandchildren relegated to learning about bobwhite from pictures in a book," said Matter, who also chairs the New Jersey Quail Project, a conservation group.

The slow, yet certain disappearance of wild quail began a century ago. In New Jersey, there are about 3,700 of the wild, native birds left, primarily in pockets of South Jersey.

"It's a habitat issue. Of course it's a game bird, and people hunt them, but there's not enough hunting pressure to cause the type of decline in quail we see," said Beth Ciuzio of New Jersey Audubon. "The issue is a lack of what we call early successional habitat."

The birds had thrived on native warm-season grasses, such as switchgrass, bluestem, Indian grass and broomsedge Ð a once-common, bunchy, mosaic of vegetation that offered great nesting areas and allowed room for other flowers and weeds that provided food by attracting bugs and dropping seeds. It also gave quail excellent winter cover to hide from predators, but no more.

Increasing urbanization, suburban sprawl and farming practices involving row crops and pesticides have left bobwhite exposed and vulnerable.

"Current trends toward cleaner farming, larger plot sizes and conversion to non-native grasses or crowded pine stands, and conversion to suburbia have reduced the amount of habitat available to bobwhite nesting and escape cover," said Christopher Williams, a University of Delaware professor who has studied bobwhite nationwide, including South Jersey.

"For states such as New Jersey, which is the most developed state in the union, these habitat conversions are especially drastic. Consequently, for at least half a century, bobwhite numbers have followed a downward trend throughout the bird's range," he said.

Many groups, from New Jersey Quail Project and New Jersey Audubon to South Jersey Quail Unlimited, the Ruffed Grouse Society and several government agencies have been launching habitat restoration projects, with some successes. But Castelli said radio tracking studies on South Jersey quail over the past few years show the birds still are suffering high mortality rates.

"The annual adult survival rate was 8.6 percent, meaning 91.4 percent of the adult birds that were around in the spring didn't survive the year," he said.

Hawks, which faced extinction 30 years ago until pesticide bans restored their numbers, killed 43.5 percent of the studied quail and domestic cats killed another 10.1 percent. Other mammals, such as the state's ever increasing coyote population and foxes, took down 21.7 percent.

Hunters accounted for only 2.9 percent, an amount biologists said they would have considered insignificant, until now
Coveys of quail were once more common than the hounds and hunters who pursued them through the brushy fields of New Jersey.

On summer nights, their calls would pierce the air with a whistling, drawn-out screech of "bob-white, bob-bob-white," a song that gave the small, quirky, chicken-like birds the name of northern bobwhite.

"When I was 10 years old, I used to hear them as my grandfather and I sat on the front porch on a glider, one of those big old metal porch swings," said Joe Matter, 59, who grew up hunting quail in the Thorofare section of Gloucester County. "Those were the days of hunting with side-by-sides (shotguns) and Woolrich shirts. We also had more than just a few dogs under foot. It was nothing to kick up 20 to 50 coveys of quail in a day, with 20 to 25 birds in each covey."

Matter said these days when he walks through the fields he's lucky to kick up one flapping, fluttering covey of a half-dozen quail.

Although the bobwhite faces extinction throughout the eastern and southeastern United States, the state Division of Fish and Wildlife released a report this month concluding, "New Jersey's declines are among the most precipitous recorded."

Audubon, the national bird conservation group, listed the quail last year as the number one native avian species in decline, estimating 5.5 million bobwhite remain in the nation, where they numbered 31 million just 40 years ago.

Paul Castelli, a state research biologist, recently unveiled a new state bobwhite action plan that outlined a need to accelerate and improve bobwhite habitat restoration. But the plan also recommended the unthinkable in South Jersey Ð an indefinite suspension of the region's 300-year-old tradition of wild quail hunting.

Endorsed by the game council, but still subject to a year of public hearings, the plan proposes an end to wild quail pursuits by 2011 in areas south of where Route 33 cuts through Monmouth and Mercer counties.

"That is where our wild bobwhite are. About 800,000 acres of suitable habitat remains there, which is about 28 percent of the entire land-mass below Route 33. Right now, only 18 percent of that region is believed to be occupied by wild bobwhite," Castelli said.

A dozen private clubs will be free to continue hunting pen-raised bobwhite they stock annually on private land, and other hunters may pursue birds the state stocks at two wildlife management areas. But to ease pressure on wild coveys, the bobwhite season is to be closed elsewhere.

"This is something we have to do. I don't want my grandchildren relegated to learning about bobwhite from pictures in a book," said Matter, who also chairs the New Jersey Quail Project, a conservation group.

The slow, yet certain disappearance of wild quail began a century ago. In New Jersey, there are about 3,700 of the wild, native birds left, primarily in pockets of South Jersey.

"It's a habitat issue. Of course it's a game bird, and people hunt them, but there's not enough hunting pressure to cause the type of decline in quail we see," said Beth Ciuzio of New Jersey Audubon. "The issue is a lack of what we call early successional habitat."

The birds had thrived on native warm-season grasses, such as switchgrass, bluestem, Indian grass and broomsedge Ð a once-common, bunchy, mosaic of vegetation that offered great nesting areas and allowed room for other flowers and weeds that provided food by attracting bugs and dropping seeds. It also gave quail excellent winter cover to hide from predators, but no more.

Increasing urbanization, suburban sprawl and farming practices involving row crops and pesticides have left bobwhite exposed and vulnerable.

"Current trends toward cleaner farming, larger plot sizes and conversion to non-native grasses or crowded pine stands, and conversion to suburbia have reduced the amount of habitat available to bobwhite nesting and escape cover," said Christopher Williams, a University of Delaware professor who has studied bobwhite nationwide, including South Jersey.

"For states such as New Jersey, which is the most developed state in the union, these habitat conversions are especially drastic. Consequently, for at least half a century, bobwhite numbers have followed a downward trend throughout the bird's range," he said.

Many groups, from New Jersey Quail Project and New Jersey Audubon to South Jersey Quail Unlimited, the Ruffed Grouse Society and several government agencies have been launching habitat restoration projects, with some successes. But Castelli said radio tracking studies on South Jersey quail over the past few years show the birds still are suffering high mortality rates.

"The annual adult survival rate was 8.6 percent, meaning 91.4 percent of the adult birds that were around in the spring didn't survive the year," he said.

Hawks, which faced extinction 30 years ago until pesticide bans restored their numbers, killed 43.5 percent of the studied quail and domestic cats killed another 10.1 percent. Other mammals, such as the state's ever increasing coyote population and foxes, took down 21.7 percent.

Hunters accounted for only 2.9 percent, an amount biologists said they would have considered insignificant, until now.

©2009 Gloucester County Times
© 2009 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It's about freakin time, but to get serious, they need to close it to all hunting. :cry: The same should be done for Ruffed Grouse. :cry: It's unfortunate, and I seriously doubt they would recover sufficiently to reopen a season, but its not worth the loss of the either species in the state. I have a small covey of BW in my backyard, probably from when I released birds for training my Brit's.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
About 10 years ago we released 18 quail onto our property. They were hatched and brought to us by a friend who raises quail. We regularly attempted to monitor their activity and within a few short months stopped seeing any sign of their existence. Our guess at the time was the presence of hawks and feral cats.....
I would make the attempt again. I do remember seeing coveys up until about 15 years ago...... I don't know how to address the hawks and now, coyotes :confused: The cats have pretty much gone.
I will keep an eye on the project.....interesting.

Thanks, Turtle

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i heard one quail about two years ago,first I heard in maybe 20 years.I haven't had the crap scared out of me by a grouse in almost as long.Turkeys everywhere though.never seen them when i was a kid,coyotes neither.i do miss the song of the quail and the drum of the grouse though.why are they gone? over hunting?predators?it can't be habitat loss,the places i used to see and hear them are still there unchanged.somethings changed though,their gone:-(
Al

Banjo

Scout
Apr 17, 2005
S.W. Missouri
My earliest memories of the Barrens were listening to the Bobwhites, Whippoorwills, and machine gun fire from Ft Dix, at night while at the Methodist retreat at Mt. Misery back in the seventies. I didn't know their numbers had been reduced so. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I heard one anywhere.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I often think that species such as quail and bluebirds are not as much in a stage of decline as they are returning to what their natural populations once were. Habitat changes are pointed to as major source of blame in the article above. The “glory days” of quail hunting that old timers fondly recall took place when our forests were still recovering from the massive deforestation that fueled the iron and glass industries, as well as the clearing of land for farming. Before this happened, the populations of these birds were likely closer to what they are now. When the habitat is ideal, it does not matter what amount of predation takes place, animal or human. In fact one of the basic principles of wildlife ecology is that prey populations control predator populations, by virtue of scarcity or abundance of food, not the other way around. That is why the old laws offering bounties on raptors and other predators were reversed. This doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t take actions to support populations of quail, bluebirds, etc. But I think it is worth noting that we are trying to create a situation as we think it should be, not necessarily as nature intended.

MartGBC

Scout
Sep 10, 2008
Glendora
I wish the state would do a serious effort to bring back quail and grouse. What they do now at the WMAs is a joke and I am a hunter. I will not buy a stamp to hunt birds there. If they were serious they would have a program like they did with the turkeys. 2 of my biggest problems with Fish & Game Dept. is the bird and trout stocking programs. They need to be more about stocking animals so they repopulate and reproduce naturally and not being a seasonal cash crop. The loss of the birds is caused by many factors, it is not as simple as pointing the finger at 1 thing.

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
They need to be more about stocking animals so they repopulate and reproduce naturally and not being a seasonal cash crop. The loss of the birds is caused by many factors, it is not as simple as pointing the finger at 1 thing.
I think this has been tried and one of the problems is that pen raised hens will not sit on the nest to incubate the eggs. The state is looking at either importing wild birds which is expensive, or volunteers to sit on eggs.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
They need to be more about stocking animals so they repopulate and reproduce naturally and not being a seasonal cash crop. The loss of the birds is caused by many factors, it is not as simple as pointing the finger at 1 thing.

F&W puts about 11000 quail out each year, has been doing that for quite a few years, and hunter do not take all of them. The only hunting I do is for quail, these stocked birds are not conditioned to live on there own, many a time I've found numbers of them dead, most times frozen. The only successful reintroduction using a quail stocking program was in the northwest part of the US, and it was not for bobwhite. The southern states have banded together to try and reverse the decline and to date have been unsuccessful. I doubt NJ will fare any better. I shudder to think of the hunting conditions on the WMA's that will remain open for quail hunting under this proposal.