Hunters go after New Jersey bears

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3302227.stm

Hunters go after New Jersey bears

More than 5,000 permits to hunt bears have been issued
The first bear hunt in the American state of New Jersey for 33 years has gone ahead despite protests from animal rights groups.

The six-day hunt, which began before dawn on Monday, is designed to cut New Jersey's growing black bear population, estimated to be as high as 3,200.

Officials say bears are becoming more of a menace to people in the state.

But opponents say more humane alternatives, such as a sterilisation programme, should have been pursued.

The hunting area was intended to be 400,000 hectares (1 million acres) of New Jersey, and 5,200 bear hunting permits were issued.

But last week, a federal judge closed the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area - up to 25% of the designated hunting zone - to hunters.

US District Judge Reggie Walton said he would decide on Tuesday whether to extend the order.

Another check on the hunters is a storm that left about 30 centimetres (nearly a foot) of snow in the area, driving many bears into their dens, which are off-limits to hunters.

'The best'

The first bear to be killed on Monday morning, a 72-kilogram (160-pound) female, was shot on Hamburg Mountain in Sussex County.

The hunter, 63-year-old Harry McDole, said he had killed three bears in Canada on previous hunting trips.

"I've waited 33 years to shoot one in New Jersey," he told the Associated Press news agency.

"This is the best one because I got it in Jersey."

He said he planned to eat the meat and have "a rug or something" made from the pelt.

About 200 animal advocates, some armed with video recorders, went into the woods to make sure hunters stayed clear of dens and other areas where hunting was forbidden.

Lynda Smith, director of the Bear Education and Resource Group, said: "I fought against this day for 10 years.

"One week of bear hunting, nothing's going to be solved. Come spring the bears will still be eating our garbage and still be walking through our back yards."

B

bach2yoga

Interesting article...I've mixed feelings on this one. I'm not a PETA person, by any stroke of the imagination.
A lot of pros and cons both ways. I wonder how many bears will actually be shot out of all of the permits issued.
Renee