Hunting Bucks

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Tracker, the funds to purchase the land from the Oswego Gun club was paid for by NJCF and the department of defense. Also i have seen green acres signs as well now. The DOD has a program to purchase land to buffer their military installations. There was a topic on this site before. There also was a newspaper article about the gentleman who is tasked with finding landowners and brokering deals for the DOD. I will post a link when I get home and find it. Information can also be found on the NJCF website.

You mean Chris Gage? Is the land open to the public once they purchase it?

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Bob i believe chris gage works for njcf. I believe the guy i mean is differnt guy with a offcial title from DOD. As for if its open to the public i do not know.

The bombing range is a topic that bothers me about access as a sportsman. For years during 6 day gun season the gates were opened and you were allowed to hunt there. After 9/11 they came around and posted flyers stating no hunting allowed. The tax maps were rezoned and what was state forest became bombing range property and the gates were pushed out. If you look at current tax maps you still see one corner on calico warren grove road and allen road that is still listed as state forest but its landlocked. I talked to a nice lady at the tax office for burlington county and she explained when this all went on. Now the bombing range has hunting but only if you are active guard memeber,retired, or immediate family. This a new program that is about three years old. However there are guys who hunted it before who somehow got permission to still hunt it today but I dont know if they meet the criteria as I do not know there personal stories just know them from hunting the same area for years.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very nice report Tracker Jim!! I had been to the Oswego Gun Club with PBX and I vaguely recall older foundations in the area. So that was the Bucks Tavern. Nice find. It is also a reminder to never overlook the possibility that one area can be home to ruins from more than one time period. I used to see this all the time in the woods around browns mills. History layered nearly on top of each other. Again great report and nice find!

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
Very nice report Tracker Jim!! I had been to the Oswego Gun Club with PBX and I vaguely recall older foundations in the area. So that was the Bucks Tavern. Nice find. It is also a reminder to never overlook the possibility that one area can be home to ruins from more than one time period. I used to see this all the time in the woods around browns mills. History layered nearly on top of each other. Again great report and nice find!

Thank you Woodjin! More research is needed to be completely sure. I do believe however, based on the little amount of info I have been able to find thus far, that this is the spot.
What makes Bucks Tavern so interesting is that it has remained in the shadows when most pine barren taverns enjoyed a good deal of fame. It is understandable why taverns have such historic value, when one considers the important a roles Taverns have played in their time. Take Quaker Bridge tavern, Mount Tavern, Sooy's Inn (Washington), Barnhart's Tavern (Eagle), Bodine's, or Bass River Tavern. All pretty well known right? Despite it's close proximity to Martha and being featured in the Martha Furnace Diary, Bucks has been largely forgotten. This is the kind of historic site that I enjoy studying the most. Reviving these significant sites that have been forgotten and overlooked, with the hope of preserving their precious history for future generations.