I Got Chiggers on Saturday, and some crazy stinging insect

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I went out on my motorcycle Saturday. I went through some brush and got two chigger bites. I can totally deal with two chigger bites after having had these things as many times as I have. The bites are a bit close to, hmmm, "me wedding tackle" and that is always a bit alarming but no big deal. What is a big deal is that I think I am the first to get chiggers this year!!!! Is that right? YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! I love being first!!! That has to be worth 10 points!! Ten itchy points!!!! huh?

Oh'yeah,
a flying insect of some sort went down my shirt and bite the Hell out of my stomach also. JUst thought I'd let everyone know.

Jeff

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Congradulations!!! How about the ticks? I've been getting them throughout the winter since it's been pretty warm, and saturday i got quite a few of them...

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
thats weird. i do alot of traveing in the pines this time of year and never got chigger bites. maybe the weather has shaken them up.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
bob b, had a friendship bogs hike sat. i came home with 9 ticks and pulled off about five or six during the hike on my legs (under my pants), all the big kind
i am known as a tick magnet, oh well it thats time of year

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
tick chiggers and things

Was lucky this past Friday. Not one tick or chigger. I'll take ticks over chiggers anytime! BTW, are you sure it was a chigger bite? They have penicillin for that sort of thing.... just kiddin.
k

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
"They have penicillin for that sort of thing.... just kiddin"

LOL, yea I have seen a few ticks through the winter also.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Krloucks said:
Was lucky this past Friday. Not one tick or chigger. I'll take ticks over chiggers anytime! BTW, are you sure it was a chigger bite? They have penicillin for that sort of thing.... just kiddin.
k

Absolutely, 100% sure they are chigger bites. I have had chiggers many many times. Caught me off guard. Thought it was way to early in the year, but hey, It was very, very warm on Saturday.

Jeff

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Lucky you. You are the first I have heard of so far.
I have been basically inviting chigger bites for the past few weekends--wearing shorts and no repellent, and walking around in the swamps and sitting in the sand. I can't believe I haven't gotten any yet. I know they're coming though. Little *$&#ers.

raiden098

Apr 27, 2005
Grinnell, IA
woodjin said:
Absolutely, 100% sure they are chigger bites. I have had chiggers many many times. Caught me off guard. Thought it was way to early in the year, but hey, It was very, very warm on Saturday.

Jeff

Not good. It's time again to say goodbye to the sweet carefree bushwhacking days of spring. Time to stockpile dermoplast again. I fear 'em like the plague. They kinda are like a plague.... :jd:

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
It's been a very warm winter, and I am not at all suprised. Spring is coming early this year. I do not like the bugs either. Hopefully next year we'll have a real winter, but it takes patience. As far as that "stinging insect", it could have been pine flies (aka deer flies) when they bite it hurts.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
LongIslandPiney said:
It's been a very warm winter, and I am not at all suprised. Spring is coming early this year. I do not like the bugs either. Hopefully next year we'll have a real winter, but it takes patience. As far as that "stinging insect", it could have been pine flies (aka deer flies) when they bite it hurts.

I believe it was a pine fly, I did not see it.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Sue Gremlin said:
Lucky you. You are the first I have heard of so far.
I have been basically inviting chigger bites for the past few weekends--wearing shorts and no repellent, and walking around in the swamps and sitting in the sand. I can't believe I haven't gotten any yet. I know they're coming though. Little *$&#ers.

Sit tight. Your time will come.

raiden098

Apr 27, 2005
Grinnell, IA
Ah.. whelp. I just got whacked by the chiggers (aka smallpox) big time via the household feline. If I don't go to them they somehow find a way to me. It drives me out of my mind that feline frontline (Fipronil) is still 45 bucks.

Oh well.

Speaking of pests.. how is everyone weathering this Gypsy Moth storm? That nice little pitter-patter of frass can be quite soothing if you close your eyes and imagine it's a refreshing spring drizzle I've found. Next year if the state doesn't put out BT again here it's war.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
raiden098 said:
It drives me out of my mind that feline frontline (Fipronil) is still 45 bucks.

$45 for how many months? I used to pay a small fortune for it at the vet, but for the past 4 years I've been buying Frontline Top Spot for Cats on the internet at about 1/3 of the vet's cost. A 6 month supply is $50 at entirelypets.com:

http://entirelypets.stores.yahoo.net/fronfleandti1.html

But does it work for chiggers? I thought it was only for fleas and ticks? And with the ticks I think it's only marginally effective. I use it religiously on my cat and he still gets ticks. And I'm convinced that the ones which don't like his "flavor" drop off him and latch onto me! :eek:

raiden098

Apr 27, 2005
Grinnell, IA
I think I order a different product. Frontline Plus has one more chemical thrown in the mix to keep fleas in their larval stage and kill them. Normally it costs more than Top Spot, which is just Fipronil (I believe). I found a nice deal today at http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.. bringing the total down to $42 bucks (incl. shipping) for 6 months instead of the $58 at entirelypets. It ships from Australia but even with the shipping added in it totals much cheaper than what merchants in the US have to offer. Of course this site is useless if you want Top Spot, for they don't sell it. Then again, Frontline Plus is a step up and you can get it there for less than Top Spot. Go for it I say. :eng101:

As for killing chiggers, all I can say is I definitely notice a difference when the product is not applied. I'm not sure.

Happy weekend. ;)