I heard a Peeper today!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Ed takes the prize this year! I tried to hear the peeps last week when it hit almost 70.went out that night but the temps were dropping fast toward the 30's but were holding the low 50's when i hit the woods.no peepes last week at least not in my usualy peeper spots.They are about two to three weeks early this year.I may hear them tonight on the way to work if i ride with the winders down but i doubt it.I don't pass the good spots on the way to work.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice hearing Ed!

For you plant lovers I believe the Broom Crowberry blooms fairly soon. Spring is here...somewhat.

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Good for you, Ed! Yours are ahead of ours.

I heard our first peeper this evening -- a loner doing a solo attempt even though it was chilly (50 degrees) -- and a few short trills from an American toad who seemed to have trouble warming up. Spring at last!

Glo

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
lower forge

i camped at lower forge 2 days ago. i heard sounds i never heard before. sounded like a wolf or dog?, but different. my dog did not react to the sound which it makes me think it was not a canine.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I was out on the Webbs Mill Branch today and heard one lone peeper, I thought for sure I would hear more towards the end of the day but I didn't. With tomorrows forecast the peepers should be singing.

Chris

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have heard loons but never around nj.They could sound like a howl but their more of a lake bird,definitely not a barrens bird.
Barred owls have a kind of monkey laugh/howl???could it be that?
coyote comes to mind but your right,your dog probably would've went off his rocker.
Al

bushwacker

Scout
May 18, 2009
port republic
Barred Owl call is whowho whowho...... whowho whowho ahhh

or who cooks for you who cooks for you alll

Barn owl does kind of a screechy schreeee

loons stick to salt water down here, and migrate up the coast to north woods lakes
their call is kind of a haunting yodel

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I had this guy hanging out on my porch tonight. I didn't hear a peep out of him!:)

0195.JPG

Chris

MAINE BUSHPILOT

Feb 21, 2011
WINTERPORT MAINE
Howling

101_3499.jpg101_0859.jpg
Probably a coy101_3501.jpgote, if it was howling. My dogs aren't bothered them. We have quite a few on our woodlot.I have been thinning them out this winter, but the snow ijslhvlul.jpgs so deep it's hard to get around ,even with snowshoes.We have over 5ft. on the ground, and the dogs are getting into the deer yards.. not good !!Starting to tap 101_0861.jpgfor maple syrup this week if it warms up a little,still single digits at night....