I hit a beaver

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Everyone has different tolerances of roadkill. I've seen many a black Vulture not turn his beak up at something days old. We, so wasteful, should be ashamed.
Seriously, I have had occasion to, on many roasts... notice I did not specify beef or pig, sample things I thought quite fine but given my hosts, albeit it backwoodsy folk, persons of color, or bikers... I was safer not questioning the origins of. While in my youth I felt better with wild folk who had their feet on the ground, I usually know the form of meat that I consume nowadays. Saw a few interesting hides myself at some of those events. Might even have a little Cayootey in me so to speak.
Once any meat falls into the fire and is burned to where the meat and the coals are hard to tell apart, it's all good. Miss those days.

g.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
Rabbits are rodents too and they are way good eatin'.
I taught my younger son over Christmas break how to make rabbit stew from dead rabbits on the table to steaming bowl with fresh Italian bread and sharp provolone on the side.
He has been hunting since he was 10, as has my older son but they never got fully involved in the cooking and prep.
He took the stew back to college with him and his friends did backflips over it.
There is nothing wrong with roadkill and my younger son scooped up two nice deer this year. We threw away maybe 3 lbs of meat total between the two deer.
With roadkill you gotta know how long they have been sitting but you won't know the extent of the damage until you open the zipper.

i've been told wild rabbit is nothing short of delicious.. my friends father runs beagles out in the pines and rabbit hunts.. he doesn't get many, but watching the dogs track is unreal.

he makes rabbit nuggets.. i've never tried them, for fear of loving them..... so tempting, so right, so wrong. kind of sounds intimate..

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Rabbits are rodents too and they are way good eatin'.
I.

I had never heard of rabbit as being a rodent. I just did a quick google search on that and apparently they were classified as rodent until 1912, since then they have been classified differently. I have had rabbit. It was a long time ago but I'll officially classify them as delicious.

Jeff

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
I work in the sticks of salem county, and there are people down there that i work with that eat muskrat.I have never eaten deer or anything like that but i dont think i would start off with something like muskrat.:rolleyes:

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
i've been told wild rabbit is nothing short of delicious.. my friends father runs beagles out in the pines and rabbit hunts.. he doesn't get many, but watching the dogs track is unreal.

he makes rabbit nuggets.. i've never tried them, for fear of loving them..... so tempting, so right, so wrong. kind of sounds intimate..

Better than chicken!

My grandmother used to make Rabit in her Spaghetti Sauce, brown it & toss it in the Sauce pot. That was good!