I hit a beaver

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Well the title kind of says it all. I came around a sharp turn on route 532 near my house and immeditely in the road was...what I thought was a recently road killed deer, I had no where to go because of a guard rail. I ran it over. I slowed and looked in my mirror and saw it still moving a bit.

I felt terrible. By the time I turned around and got back to it, it was already dead. A beaver. I am not sure if I was the first to hit it. When I did hit it, it was not moving at all. My tires were screeching and it appeared to just be lying there so I think I just offered the final blow.

Anyway, he was in a dangerous spot so I went back home, got a shovel and got him/her to the side of the road. I couldn't manage to get the beaver in the shovel so I don't know how much it weighed. But I will say that it is big. It's body is the size of a yearling deer and it's feet are the size of human hands.

Anyway, Scott I know you are an avid hunter but I don't know if you collect pelts/fur. This beaver is large enough to make a nice pelt. A little blood around it's neck but the pelt seems mostly intact. He is located along the southern guard rail on route 532 crossing over a bog on the north side. About 1/2 mile past Goose Pond road (heading east). It is cool enough tonight that I suspect it will still be fresh in the morning. It is very near a "road curve" sign. At least he won't die totally in vane if you have an interest in him.

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I would take it Jeff but I cannot get up there today.
I would think it would be gone by tonight which is the earliest I can get there. Plus it is supposed to hit 60 today.
Thanks for the offer.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think the warm weather may be confusing the animals. Around 6:00AM his morning, driving down a little country road in the fog, I saw some kind of animal ahead and hit my brakes. At first it looked like a dog, but when I got closer I saw it was actually two cats, um... (how do I say this on a family website?)... enjoying each other's company. Right in the middle of the road.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
you should eat it! or use something from it..

Have you ever eaten beaver?
(I'm sorry but you were just asking for that, I tried really hard, but couldn't resist)

Well, anyway, I suppose the meat would be spoiled by now (12:00 the next day) When I was a kid I did skin a few road kills but I'm afraid I haven't got the time available to me right now. If any body wants the pelt I would suggest getting out there in a hurry. Directions are in the original post.

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
(I'm sorry but you were just asking for that, I tried really hard, but couldn't resist)

Well, anyway, I suppose the meat would be spoiled by now (12:00 the next day) When I was a kid I did skin a few road kills but I'm afraid I haven't got the time available to me right now. If any body wants the pelt I would suggest getting out there in a hurry. Directions are in the original post.

Jeff

I went to the NJ Fur Harvestors convention this year and a guy was demonstrating case skinning a beaver and he said he saves all of the meat for the table.
He said it is very good, similar to a stewing beef and does well in slow cooked meals.
Always a shame to see a good roadkill of any edible species go to waste.
Just ask Gabe. I shared my roadkill deer jerky with him this past weekend.
I warned him that anything crunchy would be turn signals.
:)

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
true story.. my friend's father and sister, both took down a separate deer on the same day.. friends father via bow and friends sister via ford taurus. his sister's deer was bigger :rofl: .. i know they harvested both. nothing was wasted. :dance:

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
RednekF350 said:
Just ask Gabe. I shared my roadkill deer jerky with him this past weekend.
I warned him that anything crunchy would be turn signals.

They were the best-tasting turn signals I've ever had. I pity the fool who leds good roadkill go to waste. :)

Nov 27, 2007
Stockton College

Jeff

i would if i killed one by accident. or maybe even found a fresh kill.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I do hate to see it go to waste. I had no idea people actually, literally, ate beaver. It is a rodent. But I guess anything is edible. I remember skinning racoon, rabit, and squirel (spelling) roadkill with my Dad when I was a kid but I am way out of practice.

Jeff

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I do hate to see it go to waste. I had no idea people actually, literally, ate beaver. It is a rodent. But I guess anything is edible. I remember skinning racoon, rabit, and squirel (spelling) roadkill with my Dad when I was a kid but I am way out of practice.

Jeff
Squirrels are rodents, too!

I had no idea you guys were such epicureans. This menu may interest you all. :)

Attachments

• roadkill_grill.jpg
    roadkill_grill.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 217

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
I went to a hick party years ago and im not kidding, squirell pie, beaver, deer, and musk rat, was what they had to eat. He had musk rat skins and fox skins hanging up to dry out. He lived in a tiny shack like something you would see in a movie or beverely hillbillies. He had land right off the maurice that was prabably worth big money too, and he refused to sell and just lived in his shack, got to respect that

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Rabbits are rodents too and they are way good eatin'.
I taught my younger son over Christmas break how to make rabbit stew from dead rabbits on the table to steaming bowl with fresh Italian bread and sharp provolone on the side.
He has been hunting since he was 10, as has my older son but they never got fully involved in the cooking and prep.
He took the stew back to college with him and his friends did backflips over it.
There is nothing wrong with roadkill and my younger son scooped up two nice deer this year. We threw away maybe 3 lbs of meat total between the two deer.
With roadkill you gotta know how long they have been sitting but you won't know the extent of the damage until you open the zipper.