I married a Piney

pineygirl

Dec 27, 2003
Ocean Co.
I had used Google and found your interesting site. Thanks guys, I had to cut and paste to the new Forum. For a couple of years, I had been researching my husband's family and throughout have come across Pine Barren & Piney sites. This is great to see an actual discussion forum. When using Google, I 1st came to the topic of Fiddlin Sammy Giberson written by Bob M. I would like for him to contact us by direct email. This Bob (Gibby) he talks about is my husband's uncle and I am sure the whole family would be happy to know that he's been recognized on this site. I would also be interested in hearing from you with some direct stories. When I met my husband 4 years ago, I knew he was different. Different and unique, I thought. This guy started to tell me stories of the area that I lived in and didn't realize just how much history was here. He started showing me forgotten places and telling me about things he remembered as a boy. We waundered thru Pasadena, the old Wrangle Brook Rd., Dover Forge, thru Crowsley, the Basins, thru Lebanon State Forest, down the old Tuckerton RR, Crow Hill, Boyd's Hotel and Debbie Platt's place, Coach stops out in the woods, Whitings the old cemeteries and Asarco tracts that we live next to. To name a few. We would go to spots that he would tell me the original name of and say, so and so lived there. The stories of the Pines stayed with him. I consider him a Piney of sorts. I also listen to all the deer stories of past and present for he is a hunter and fisherman. In researching my husband's family I learned they survived in the Pine Barrens for generations. I am also learning about other folks that lived here and would be interested in hearing about some of the stories passed down or old or new discoveries. Although I was born in North Jersey, I have lived here for 22 years and love the area of the Pine Barrens and consider the Pine Barrens a part of my life especially since I think I married a Piney. Genie

rblanda

Explorer
Feb 6, 2003
Winslow, NJ
www.eblanda.com
Thanks for your story... it was touching. I think there are many people out there such as yourself that havent even touched the surface. Go to your local library and get "Smuggler's Woods" by Pierce. It's an excellent account of many historic moments in the pines.

Good luck and thanks for writing

Robert Blanda
Owner
Pine Barrens Enthusiasts
info@eblanda.com
www.eblanda.com

pineygirl

Dec 27, 2003
Ocean Co.
Bob & Cathy

First I want to say Congratulations on your web site. I think its excellent. I'll be checking the news on here every chance I get. I have also tried to spread the word around Ocean County. Thanks for the recommendation of the book. I don't think I have read that one although I believe I have read another book by Pierce that included many of the families in the area especially Chatsworth and South Jersey. It was a book filled with pictures of then and now families.

Genie