I set off the siren at Apple Pie Hill.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We walked the dogs there yesterday. We were walking the fence around the base and when I got to the padlocked gate on the south side, off it went. I never touched the fence nor was that near it. It stopped after 2 minutes and we continued our walk around the base of the hill, nice and dry!
What is that circular foundation next to the tower?
I also noticed a foundation down the hill on the south side.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
"More Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey", p141: "The late Dr. William A. White, a New York physician, always contemplated building a sanitarium on the rise of the hill. It is his modern white-painted dwelling in the midst of a cluster of small buildings on the promintory. Down the slope is a small bottling house where Dr. White obtained and circulated a health water...."

I found two historic structures around Apple Pie hill and included them on my map

https://boydsmaps.com/boyds-map-of-the-pines-hd/

The one to the southeast is around the base of the hill and I kind of assumed the one on the northwest slope of the hill was the bottling house that Beck described in 1937. It's been a long time since I've been there myself!

hd.png

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The sanitorium foundation is still there also there was a large septic tank next to it that was about eight feet across and ten feet deep.A person could have fallen into it and not been able to get out.A friend of mine told someone in the state about it and the bulldozed it shut.This highly PO"ed me since it was quite a neat pit.He had placed a login it for people or animals to climb out on but I guess that wasn't good enough.I would have maybe placed an iron grate over it but no the state destroyed it.It was about 30 ft south of the foundation.
Oh well.Better to be PO"ed the P on"d

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The round foundation on the top is in my Then & Now Photo.

Apple Pie Hill 1978_2003.jpg

That is without a doubt part of the water bottling operation because of various information Lost Town Hunter and myself have. I am quite certain I have a photo of the building where the water was taken from the ground and pumped up to the top. And we have found evidence that water pipes also run from the round area to the building ruins at the base of the hill that they just blocked off. And I have other info that Lost Town Hunter and myself have searched out and found concerning the hill. I am holding off with much of it until he decides what he wants to do with the information we have acquired between the two of us. Most of the info he has acquired so I am taking a back seat.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed,

Setting that alarm off notifies the authorities. Either they responded slowly or you left soon after. I believe they also have camera's so maybe they saw you did not do anything and they passed on going. BTW, Batsto now has the same alarm.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We stayed for quite a while and saw the video cameras. The only thing they would have seen is 2 people walking dogs. This didn't bother us a bit. I forgot about those double poles.