I should have sprayed my bag with permethrin!

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Lo and behold I go for just a few feet in tall grass and the ticks are all over my bag (but not on my treated clothes).
I can't be so sure they were ticks, they were brownish reddish, very small, and crawled fast. Maybe they were chiggers. All I know is I spend the better part of 20 minutes trying to brush them all off my bag, I'd estimate there could have been 70-80 of them.
Anyway I checked, I hope I got them all. When I got home I checked the bag and all the stuff in it and I didn't see any, but I sprayed lysol in the bag, but I wonder if that will kill any hiding out. Or I should spray the bag with permethrin.
Luckily I didn't get any on me, though just to be sure I took a hot shower.
Just a reminder to anyone going hiking that maybe it's a good idea to spray everything you are carrying (well at least the outside of the bag).
That's what I think I'm gonna do. Because the grass aint going anywhere soon and the trails are quite overgrown this year. Must be from all the rain.

Oct 25, 2006
Lo and behold I go for just a few feet in tall grass and the ticks are all over my bag (but not on my treated clothes).
I can't be so sure they were ticks, they were brownish reddish, very small, and crawled fast. Maybe they were chiggers. All I know is I spend the better part of 20 minutes trying to brush them all off my bag, I'd estimate there could have been 70-80 of them.
Anyway I checked, I hope I got them all. When I got home I checked the bag and all the stuff in it and I didn't see any, but I sprayed lysol in the bag, but I wonder if that will kill any hiding out. Or I should spray the bag with permethrin.
Luckily I didn't get any on me, though just to be sure I took a hot shower.
Just a reminder to anyone going hiking that maybe it's a good idea to spray everything you are carrying (well at least the outside of the bag).
That's what I think I'm gonna do. Because the grass aint going anywhere soon and the trails are quite overgrown this year. Must be from all the rain.

L I P, don't spray the camera with permithrin, it might peel the paint off.

Jim

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I know Sue is the bug-ologist, but I would bet on chiggers. The quote "crawling all over" just sounds chiggeresque to me. In my experience chiggers move faster than ticks and would tend to incite a comment like "crawling all over".

Jeff

Oct 25, 2006
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&prev=/images?q=chiggers&gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en

I got loaded with the bastards just from walking around a blowdown in the road Monday night.
I got most of them off using duct tape wrapped around my hand backwards.
I still missed quite a few and now my groin and hip are itching something fierce.
God I love the woods!.

Thanks for posting that Scott, ugly mothers, i hope the itching stop soon, i 'd still rather be in the woods too.

Jim

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&prev=/images?q=chiggers&gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en

I got loaded with the bastards just from walking around a blowdown in the road Monday night.
I got most of them off using duct tape wrapped around my hand backwards.
I still missed quite a few and now my groin and hip are itching something fierce.
God I love the woods!.

Thank's for the pictures, but that's way too much information. If a newcomer were to come onboard and see "blowdown", "duct tape" and "groin" in the same sentence, what type of board do you think they'd think we're running here?

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
My wife and I got tons on us yesterday while looking for the Millville bunkers. I was lucky and got most off before they could bite; she wasn't so lucky. Her legs are covered with bites; I have a few on my feet & ankles. I think after a while you build up an immunity. :v:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I really don't think there is immunity to the bites but some people react more intensely and for longer periods of time.
My bites flare for about 4 days and disappear after a week or so. The problem is getting a new batch before the others are done.
After duct taping them off the other night I really thought I had them but I was surprised to wake up yesterday with a load of bites in assorted other areas.
Come on frost!

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Ditto, about 4 - 5 days here, and then the bump hangs around a while longer but doesn't itch. Permanone on the clothing and boots seems to keep them off very effectively. Only thing I didn't do last time was spray my socks.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Well I guess I got lucky because I am not itching anywhere. :D Bag is treated with permethrin for next time...because there's always a next time...when you finish walking along a trail for several miles and some overgrown grass stands in between you and the road.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The chiggers are terrible this year, but last year was no picnic either. I have been wearing my permethrin treated clothes but some still get through, I've got a bunch of bites on my ankles and feet. The grass was high the other day so I had to mow, I think that's when they get me the worst with everything blowing around from the mower.

I can't remember the last time I even saw a tick, it was over a month ago certainly...

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I am on vacation on the OBX, so I don't have any good stock photos here. I am certainly no expert on chiggers, so I am sure everyone else knows more about them than me. In fact, I have never spotted any on me, ever. As much as I have tried, I have never been able to see any.
Ironically, I got some chigger bites here on the beach. Monsters, they are!

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Just when I thought I could get through one summer in Pine Barrens without a chigger encounter, here I sit with about 40+ bites all over my body. They last on me for about 4 to 8 weeks depending on the amount of scratching I do.

The hardest part are the ones on the feet. Like most people, I have to wear socks and shoes to work. This prolongs those ones by about 4 weeks usually and they just get worse and worse everyday. This sucks so bad.

Peace,

J