I Wuz Here

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Halfway, carters' stop 1817 (0)

Because it was halfway to a certain point from the interior to the shore, essentially a stop for carters who, halfway through their journey, ate their lunches and rested at this point; an early name for Old Halfway.

---------------------------------------

Old Halfway, carters stop 1839 (M-1839)

Originally "Halfway", a carter's stop; later reputed to be a village where clay was mined (4 145); today, merely a point on the map. It appears that when a second stop, called "LIttle Halfway" was set up at a fork in the road North of the original, the name of the first establishment was modified by the prefixing of the adjective "Old". Located in the SW corner of Manchester TWP.

Former Name: "Halfway, 1817"

From; Zinkin, Vivian: "Place Names of Ocean County New Jersey, 1609-1849", Ocean County Historical Society, Toms River, NJ 1976 (Page 84 and 136).

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Bob, Thanks for the info. In my imagination I have a picture of a clearing in the woods with wagons parked and horses grazing. A group of bearded men men resting in the shade, eating and drinking while trading tales about their lives. I have also heard this area referred to as Hollingers. My guess is probably one of the companies that mined the pits.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, Thanks for the info. In my imagination I have a picture of a clearing in the woods with wagons parked and horses grazing. A group of bearded men men resting in the shade, eating and drinking while trading tales about their lives. I have also heard this area referred to as Hollingers. My guess is probably one of the companies that mined the pits.

I have a feeling more than clay is hidden in that area. History is too. I'd like to explore the adjacent swamp. It is a really dense one.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Tom!

DOLLAR.JPG

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
ngs

Way to go Bob! Did there happen to be someone else named Tom in the store, wondering how you knew his name? BTW Burton Cummings is one of my favorite vocalists in rock music, but the list is fairly long. The Guess Who had a nice run of hits back then.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
ngs

BTW Burton Cummings is one of my favorite vocalists in rock music, but the list is fairly long. The Guess Who had a nice run of hits back then.

I have viewed a few movies over the years where he has written and sung the songs you hear at the beginning and end of the movie. One actually was quite good even though I can't remember the title of the move.

I have two of their albums with one being Share The Land. I can remember buying that and the salesman telling me not to. Either he did not like it or did not like their anti american stance.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy you are correct, it is a male

Thank you Andy. Al spent a few minutes showing Jessica and I the various differences, and I was confident he knew what he was talking about.

Guy

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
no prob, im no expert but al and you are correct, they also have different curves to the shell that is a quick way to tell, i forget if the male or female has the curve and the other is flater. But i forget which is which. And you can count their rings to get an idea how old they are. But once again im sure someone has much more info then me, and you probably know a lot more than me too.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
The turtle is a male, Guy is right. The other way to tell is males have a curve in their plasteron, and a lip of sorts on the back of their shell. Males normally have very colorful heads too, while females normally are more bland. Males also will normally be found more often late in the season, and are less likely to go into their shell.