Identify This Road

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Is it the dirt road on your right if headed towards AC? If so, take the Winslow Road exit. Thru toll booth, Right on Winslow Rd & immediate Right onto dirt road. It leads back to a lake which will be on your left. North (or west) of the lake, the dirt road becomes EXTREMELY muddy. I once had to take my CJ7 into the muddy section once to rescue a friend who stuck his KLR650 & was exhausted from trying to get it out. On the way to him I had to winch myself 3 times.
Note, if you made a left on Winslow Rd, you'd hit the intersection of Rte 73. Mr Bill's is there. Good place to grab a sammich!

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Not much back there but trash. That pond is definitely a big party and dumping spot. You can get that far with any car but further west is nearly impassable.

The dirt road on the other side of Fleming (heading east) is more interesting and goes all the way out to Piney Hollow. It also goes by the famed original blue hole. It's part of Winslow WMA so lots of hunters in there this time of year. Pretty well graded and not too muddy last time i passed through.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It would help if you linked to the map. I assume you were talking about the road labelled as "Fireline" on the USGS topo. Is that it? It runs parallel to the highway, and turns south. I have not gone on the North section before.

https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.66190423314209&lng=-74.89066776408396&z=15&type=topo&gpx=

On my maps I show the name "Inskip Rd". As Zach says, the south part of the road goes down to the Blue Hole, Haven't been there recently, but there is pretty widespread flooding in the Southern counties.

inskip.png

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Now being able to look at the area on Google Maps, it does appear to be in the Winslow WMA. I've never taken Exit 33, but I could see how that will give access. Thanks for all the feedback. I've noticed it for years, but never knew what it was.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
That pond is where I found that old man who tried to walk home from his stuck truck about 15 years ago. It was in the mid 20's & snowing hard. I thought he surely would've died

Wildland937

Scout
Aug 24, 2016
New Germany
The road you are talking is right next to the off ramp at exit 33 eastbound, leads back to the South pond in the Winslow WMA. It also goes further back into a low area where there use to be fields but are pretty much regenerated now. The local name it South Pond Rd. The other side of the ACE that goes from Fleming to the F&G office is Oak Pond road, and the north & south road from Fleming Pike to Piney Hollow rd is the Blue Anchor Fire Line rd.
Most of the man made looking ponds and pit areas were all property of the ACE where fill was excavated in the construction of the highway in the mid 60's.

Reactions: MuckSavage and Boyd