Illegal ATVs are destroying our state parks and officials need to act

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
As quoted from the article."These vehicles not only disrupt important natural habitats, but they contribute to air pollution as well."
Does that mean we should not allow people to drive atv's at all? I wonder if Jeff drives a car or has a lawnmower or weedwacker that burns gasoline? One issue is the state made it it illegal to operate atvs on state lands and did not live up to their promise to have and sustain a legal place to ride. I realize there are many sensitive areas in the pines and elsewhere in the state. However PA, NY, VA, WV all have areas where you can go. Why not Jersey?

Reactions: mowergod

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Why not Jersey?

It is simply a lack of strong leadership by someone who has political power. One who can bring everyone together and convince all stakeholders at the table that it has to happen, that any proceeds (entry fees) will go to rightful enforcement where it's needed, and that all must help to make it happen, and that we'll all be the better off for it.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It is simply a lack of strong leadership by someone who has political power.

That is certainly a factor. But there's a huge difference between New Jersey and the other states that @The Wick cited:

New York: 54,000 square miles
Pennsylvania: 46,000 square miles
Virginia: 42,000 square miles
West Virginia: 24,000 square miles
New Jersey: 9,000 square miles

I'm not taking a side in the debate, but it's not surprising that these larger states have different policies. New Jersey has about 9 million residents compared to about 13 million in Pennsylvania. So PA is five times the size of NJ, but their population is only about 1.4 times NJ.

My only point is that we live in a tiny, over-populated state which makes it difficult to compare with our much larger neighbors. MA, NH and VT are about the same size as NJ, perhaps they would be a better comparison?

Last edited:
Reactions: old jersey girl

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My only point is that we live in a tiny, over-populated state which makes it difficult to compare with our much larger neighbors. MA, NH and VT are about the same size as NJ, perhaps they would be a better comparison?

I understand that, but I'm definitely not saying to use their model. I always said we need about 5-7 big areas that are not environmentally sensitive that can be set up just for them. Old mining areas as an example.

Reactions: Wick and Boyd

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I understand that, but I'm definitely not saying to use their model. I always said we need about 5-7 big areas that are not environmentally sensitive that can be set up just for them. Old mining areas as an example.
Old mining areas would be perfect! Most of the riding places in PA are just that. I understand the need to preserve certain areas and protect. However just about every time the state or a conservation minded organization buys a piece of land they want to close it up, create trails and open it up to hiking.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Not intending to rehash the old, but that was what the Chatsworth pit was, the other pit bought with the money put aside by the Chatsworth park and now a pit bought by the State out in the marshlands in South Jersey that no business in their right mind would want to run.