Illegal off-road vehicles continue to tear up N.J. forests. Advocates push for crackdown.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I don’t recall you asking me for one but I would be happy to share a location or two in your area if you want to advocate for it with DEP. We need people taking some of these spots on. This spung is in your neck of the woods, they are hunting for others.
How old is that pic? and where was it taken? By you?

Last edited:
Reactions: noboat

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don’t recall you asking me for one but I would be happy to share a location or two in your area if you want to advocate for it with DEP. We need people taking some of these spots on. This spung is in your neck of the woods, they are hunting for others.
I know where it is. I visited it soon after the forest service made a road there fighting a fire. I think it was around 2003. It's in Greenwood Forest. but even so, Greenwood Forest is over 16,000 acres, so it's just a very small part of the whole. Once the people back there are playing around some weekend, there's only two ways out, and both of them are arduous journeys on narrow roads. Simple thing to do is fly a drone over it on the weekend to take photos, and then simply bust them. They'll get the message.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Sometimes the water covers things up if the water table rises. The spungs out there are generally 100% vegetated with occasionally alittle section without veg in the middle.
Soo…to clarify. That pool was decimated for decades until it was blocked off. Someone then drove around the barricades in the summer of 2022. Now in November the barricades are still working and the pool looks like it did in 2021.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I know where it is. I visited it soon after the forest service made a road there fighting a fire. I think it was around 2003. It's in Greenwood Forest. but even so, Greenwood Forest is over 16,000 acres, so it's just a very small part of the whole. Once the people back there are playing around some weekend, there's only two ways out, and both of them are arduous journeys on narrow roads. Simple thing to do is fly a drone over it on the weekend to take photos, and then simply bust them. They'll get the message.
Bob, is it the road we talked about with the bypass you mentioned?