I'm looking for Pre-1900 Maps of Delran, NJ showing residences, please help!

fir469

Mar 19, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a site of maps or a single map of Delran, NJ Pre 1900 showing residences on it... I just can't find any good sites with maps of residences pre 1900 for various towns. All I can come across is general topo maps of county or town size areas but with no dwellings on them. Anyone have a good link or book to reference?? Thanks!

-Jason

Jason:

You will find the plates from the 1876 Burlington County atlas, as well as the 1849 and 1858 maps of Burlington County here:

www.westjerseyhistory.org

Please realize, however, that prior to 1880, Delran Township was part of Cinnaminson Township and prior to 1860, it was part of Chester Township.

What is your project in Delran? I may be able to assist you with information.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

fir469

Mar 19, 2010
Thx Jerseyman!!

No project per say, just interested in spots I've visited in the town and how it has changed... I've been searching for the mill site in the Fairview area and haven't quite narrowed down its location yet. Any insight??

No project per say, just interested in spots I've visited in the town and how it has changed... I've been searching for the mill site in the Fairview area and haven't quite narrowed down its location yet. Any insight??

Jason:

Are you referring to the mill powered by Swedes Run and associated with Haines Mill Road? This mill dates to circa 1750 and a member of the Borton family first took up this millseat. The mill stood on the west side of present-day Route 130 on property belonging to Millside Farms Dairy (hence, the name):

Millside_Farms_1950s.jpg

Here is a post card of the mill pond and the remains of an ice elevator that once delivered ice blocks into an adjacent ice house:

Haines_Millpond_Color.jpg

In 1800 Jacob Haines acquired this gristmill and rebuilt it in 1805. The mill descended to John W. Haines, who constructed the circa 1850 mill owner’s house, which still stands next to the U.S. Gas station on Haine’s Mill Road. The top of this house can be seen in the background of the post card. John also operated a sawmill from the same mill pond, as shown on the 1849 map:

The mill owner’s house, labeled “S. Haines” indicates that John’s son, Stokes Haines, was living in the house at the time the cartographers prepared the map. John devised the mill to his son, Horace Haines, who converted the mill to steam power and installed new a new roller mill instead of the traditional grindstones.

Fairview was an extended development stretched out along the Burlington Turnpike and begun in the 1840s. By 1880, the settlement boasted of about 25 dwellings, the gristmill, a tollhouse, three churches and at least one store

Best regards,
Jerseyman

fir469

Mar 19, 2010
Holy crow!! Jerseyman you are an incredible wealth of knowledge!! You're better then a GPS plus internet combined... Thanks for the incredible info, you answered a lot of my questions and that map is one I've never seen!! I'd love to get a collection of maps like that one of Burlington County for my travels... Any website available with them or certain book to look for??

-Jason

No project per say, just interested in spots I've visited in the town and how it has changed

Jason:

Your comment above about how Delran Township has changed caused me to look at the original 7.5-minute USGS quads of the mid-1950s and compare them with the photo-corrected versions from the late 1970s-early 1980s, but the growth continued well into the 1990s and even the new millennium, and these projects do not appear on the later edition of the USGS maps. Nonetheless, I think you will agree that the comparison is remarkable and visibly demonstrates the effects of suburban growth in the formerly agrarian landscape in Delran. During the mid-1950s, Delran Township’s only large subdivisions or nucleated communities included Riverside Park, Fairview, Cambridge, and Bridgeboro:

Delran_Township_USGS_mid-1950s.jpg

However, by the 1970s-1980s, Millside Manor/Hunter’s Glen had gone in, as had Millside Heights and other developments. Even the beginnings of Tenby Chase can be seen on these now dated maps and developed continued unabated in the 1980s and 1990s, which cannot be viewed on the map below, but is readily visible on the aerial views available on Google Maps and Bing.com:

Delran_Township_USGS_Late_1970s-Early_1980s_copy.jpg

Congress rewarding veterans with the G.I. Bill of Rights, including mortgage guarantees, had a profound effect on the farmfields that had formerly produced food, shifting agricultural production away from the family farm and into the major agri-business of the midwest.

Today, Delran’s neighborhoods include:

•Ashley Crossing
•Bridgeboro
•Cabbage Hill
•Cambridge
•Cambridge Park
•Delcrest
•Fairview
•Forest Hills
•Greentree
•Millside Heights
•Millside Manor/Hunter’s Glen
•Moorebridge
•Riverside Park
•Riverview
•Summerhill
•Swedes Run
•Tenby Chase
•The Grande
•Water’s Edge
•Woodview Lane

Beyond the Darling Conrow house and the old communities of Cambridge and Bridgeboro, there is very little historic fabric left for the casual viewer to see. But for those who know where to look, remnants of Delran’s old way of life can still be found.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: Spung-Man

SlicedRaindrop

Sep 30, 2014
Thx Jerseyman!!

the mill used to be located across from where target stands now. about where firestone stands

eugene samero

Oct 12, 2017
delran, nj
i live in the original "haines house", built circa 1803, on haines mill rd, delran, which was built by (depending on who you talk to) jacob, john or possibly another joshua haines. i have info that states the house pictured above and closer to 130 than mine, was built by the owner of my house for his son and patterned after my house to denote that there were family ties between the two homes. jason if you have found any old maps noting houses on haines mill rd. would love to see them. also i believe this area may have been a part of moorestown or at least served by their post office as my house used to have a moorestown rfd address. gene p.s. would welcome any positive corrections to my statements