In need of advice

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
Ive been thinking about going back to school... Right now I'm working at PATCO High Speed line, which is basically a dead end job despite good pay and benefits. Ive been looking into going to The University of Maine to study Forest Ecosystem Science and Conservation. It seems like something I should really do considering how young I still am. I think it would allow me to enter into a field that I would enjoy working in rather than being miserable at a stupid train station forever. Problem is, if I do go for it, my fiance is going to stay in NJ and Ill be up in Maine for 4 years or more. I'm really kind of afraid to do it. Ill also most likely have to sell my Jeep because I wont be able to make payments if I'm doing school work all the time. Like I know I should just go for it because its something Ive always considered a "dream" and thought wasn't possible but I believe now more than ever that it is possible and it might make me happy. It could eventually take me all over the US to do different jobs in different forests. Ive always been a woods, wilderness, nature, and conservation person so I think it would be fitting... I don't know why but like I said, I'm kind of afraid. But I guess its either that or PATCO...

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
If you want to go for it, go for it. I started college 7 years ago, did a semester and a half, and dropped out. Now, 7 years later, I'm finally back in school and pretty close to my associates. I really wish I had just finished up back then, because now I'm 25 without even an associates, while many of my friends have bachelors and these great paying jobs, and they love what they do. I am also at a dead end job, make crap pay, and am miserable everyday.

As for the girlfriend thing...unless you are very, very serious, I'd say this should come first. Part of the reason I put off school was because of a girl, and she ended up doing some pretty terrible things to me not long afterward. And if you are serious, this would allow you to better provide with her once you're done. Who knows? She might want to go with you for the 4 years if she sees how important this is to you. And if not, well, semesters are only 3 months long anyway.

Interestingly, the University of Maine at Machias was the school I really, really wanted to go to...