In the blazing hot plains

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There is a certain satisfaction I get when visiting the pine plains on a day like yesterday. The roads are free of people, the whine of off road vehicles is absent, and I'll usually not see another soul. I was in the East plains. Wanted to check on a plant at Chevy Pond. There is a new warning at the start of Micajas road as it enters the woods. We all know there is not a way for a normal vehicle to get out if you follow Micajas road towards Manahawkin, but the casual tourist does not. There have likely been a few tow trucks called, so the cops have decided to give fair warning.

gps sign.JPG

This is so inviting in the summer:

happytrails.JPG

The firebreak is growing in. Time for controlled burns on the firebreak.
wildfire.JPG

Here is a rare site. This mostly upland blueberry (Vaccinium pallidum) is hardly ever as fruitful as this.
vp.JPG

Chevy pond is full. I think it was at least 7 years ago before it was full like this.
pondnow.JPG

Good habitat for many thousands of Floating Heart, Nymphoides cordata.
floatheart.JPG

Not so good for the resident snowmobile, which is now a pollutant generator. There was an oil sheen behind it. I'll report it.
mobile.JPG

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I'm liking that "Disregard GPS" signage. That is needed in a lot of places, including my neighborhood. I have pulled a lot of people out of this neck of Wharton over the years because their GPS has routed them right through impassable dirt roads that appear on Google Maps as well as USGS maps.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
their GPS has routed them right through impassable dirt roads that appear on Google Maps as well as USGS maps.

Was just reading a bit about the traditional USGS 7.5 minute (aka "24k") maps on their site. The USGS declared them "complete" in 1992 and continued minor revisions through the 1990's but stopped printing them in 2006. USGS has now completely disowned the 24k maps...

"These maps are historic documents, and we do not endorse them for any current operational use."

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Was just reading a bit about the traditional USGS 7.5 minute (aka "24k") maps on their site. The USGS declared them "complete" in 1992 and continued minor revisions through the 1990's but stopped printing them in 2006. USGS has now completely disowned the 24k maps...

"These maps are historic documents, and we do not endorse them for any current operational use."
What a crime against humanity ! I only use the old versions for project key maps. They are a tribute to the map maker's art.
The new ones are horrible and the removal of critical detail that was already on the older versions is inexplicable.

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Where is this Chevy Pond. Disregard if it's a secret spot.

Right here Al. No secret. By the way, Ocean County Health Department called me. They are going out there to scope out the Ski-Doo removal (remember that word Ski-Doo?). Let me know if you can't see on map, but I know you...you'll find it.

Better yet:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was not there when this pic was taken.I remember Guy posting these pics in the past but as far as i remember I was not there when they were taken. I still do not remember skidoo though yes I am quite old.