In the ruins of the Pine Barrens

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And, with a few exceptions, notably the restoration of the iron-making village at Batsto, the state has done little to acknowledge the existence of the region's ghost towns and ghost industries, not even erecting signs when an occasional ruin can be glimpsed from the road.

But Solem-Stull firmly believes this should change, that there is another side of the story of the Pine Barrens -- the human side. "It's another aspect, another way for people to value the resource," she said.

There are many problems with her thoughts on this subject, the most disturbing is she does not understand for some odd reason what signs do to people when they are in the woods and nobody is around. Examples of that are, the sign that was at Martha years ago, the numerous signs that were at Apple Pie Hill, the memorial at the Plastic Bridge that is now missing again after the second placing of it, and the destruction of ruins and stealing of history that occurs when people learn the location of many of these places.

It is to all of our advantage to keep these places absent of signs, if not for the reasons mentioned above, then for the enjoyment of finding them on our own without the help of signs, so that newcomers to the pines can find them the same way she and many of us have, by ourselves.

Can you imagine if all the items I have been looking for over the past 32 years since I was 16 had signs on them. First off they would not be there, and second, what fun would that be.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
And, with a few exceptions, notably the restoration of the iron-making village at Batsto, the state has done little to acknowledge the existence of the region's ghost towns and ghost industries, not even erecting signs when an occasional ruin can be glimpsed from the road.

But Solem-Stull firmly believes this should change, that there is another side of the story of the Pine Barrens -- the human side. "It's another aspect, another way for people to value the resource," she said.

There are many problems with her thoughts on this subject, the most disturbing is she does not understand for some odd reason what signs do to people when they are in the woods and nobody is around. Examples of that are, the sign that was at Martha years ago, the numerous signs that were at Apple Pie Hill, the memorial at the Plastic Bridge that is now missing again after the second placing of it, and the destruction of ruins and stealing of history that occurs when people learn the location of many of these places.

It is to all of our advantage to keep these places absent of signs, if not for the reasons mentioned above, then for the enjoyment of finding them on our own without the help of signs, so that newcomers to the pines can find them the same way she and many of us have, by ourselves.

Can you imagine if all the items I have been looking for over the past 32 years since I was 16 had signs on them. First off they would not be there, and second, what fun would that be.

Guy

Nearly everyone knows of Sweetwater Run, the little stream on Dover Road just North of Wells Mills. Well, the state decided to number each bridge or culvert with small unobtrusive signs that were short and cryptic to anybody but them. For instance, this summer Sweetwater Run was outfitted (on the road next to the culvert) with a four-by-four post on each side of the road, with a small (6" square or so) sign at the top that said...."H2". They only lasted a month and the square signs on top are gone. People are just naturally ignorant morons.

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I took a trip to Borders today and read through the book, it's pretty good. A lot of info and pictures. It has pictures of the Martha Furnace ruins before they covered it. Talks about the company that owned Union Clayworks, and some of the people that owned it. A lot of good info, i'd recommend it.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Identification & Accessibiilty

Being so fond of the pines & Wharton my first instinct would be to share
it's wonder & unique nature with so many people but......
It does seem that when you identify a thing, mark it,post it,make it
easily accessible, you make it vulnerable as well.
Many of these places and the flora & fauna of them are very fragile.
I think in part one should be made to work for it.
In many cases if a thing isn't identified, it would be passed over,missed.
Only to be enjoyed by person who might actually know it's worth.
Trash gets dumped,monuments broken, living things disturbed.
I especially have a problem with
( & hopefully no offense to any responsible people here ) with people
overobsessed with cemetaries for other than historical purposes.
Vandalism, robbing, etc. of those is just sick.They should not be disturbed.
It makes you want to keep any you are aware of closely guarded.
But then, without the direction, where would we get some of the fine
books & articles we enjoy so & how many people have really found
fantastic things with the help of directions,guidance etc.
I don't know the lines in the sand & I really just don't know the right
answer.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
LARGO said:
I especially have a problem with ( & hopefully no offense to any responsible people here ) with people overobsessed with cemetaries for other than historical purposes.

Yeah that kid was pretty scary.

LARGO said:
It does seem that when you identify a thing, mark it,post it,make it easily accessible, you make it vulnerable as well.

"Once you label something, it's @#$%ed" ~ Ozzy

The way she described the book to me when I met her, I was scared of it being published. I haven't looked at it yet though.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I Must Have No Sense

Last night my daughter & I went on a "date" out to Borders to look for books and such. ( a treat for us if you will )
After my rants in this forum, didn't I buy the buggery thing.
Just said to myself, what the heck. Has to be a decent read right?
Gave it a quick flip thru over an espresso in the cafe.
** 9:00 p.m. + espresso = restless eve.

We had a great time in there though, dangerous place, should be called the Borders triangle.