Info-stealing malware hits Apple iOS devices

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I'm no techie, but I thought the inability for Apple's OS to get a virus/hacked was the biggest selling points for the die-hard Apple fans? That's all I hear them talk about when comparing Apple to MS. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
No operating system is immune to hackers, there have been Apple viruses before (going back to the 1990's even), but not nearly as many as Windows. As I understand this one however, it comes from unathorized apps that people have downloaded for their phones and tablets. Normally a user would only download trusted apps from Apple's own store but these have come from somewhere else. You are always taking a risk if you do that, like drinking water from an untested source. :)

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I have a Macbook Air because they last much longer than PC laptops. I went through about 5 PCs in 10 years or so. Yes, Macs are pricey. My husband got one in 2005 because he was a computer doctor at the time and had to learn Mac OS and hardware. He still uses it every day. The durability is amazing, so when my last PC lasted exactly 1 year (and I hated it the whole time), I got this Macbook.

Malware (or lack thereof) has not been the selling point for me. I have not had to deal with malware, though, since converting, which was a constant struggle for me with PCs. I have always figured it's out there no matter what hardware and OS you have, but the odds are still smaller. I never had the illusion, though, that it couldn't happen. It's just a matter of some jerk making the time to design a virus.

I got a Kindle Fire last year for travel. It picked up a hijacker of some sort in the first week I had it. I wiped it and sent it back to Amazon and got an iPad. I am no techie and I am not beholden to Apple. In fact, I am not really a fan of how they operate in a lot of instances, but I am pretty happy with their hardware.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Having worked with computer security for too many years, there is one thing I am certain of; if you think you have adequate security, all you really have is a warm, fuzzy feeling. :ninja: