Interesting Article about Eastern Coyote

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Excellent article. Thank you for posting it.

I have watched their numbers continue to rise in the pines from the time when the first roadkill was reported near here in the late 80's. I always marveled at the number of people I knew who believed the inane rumors that whirled around contending that the automobile insurance companies were bringing the coyote to NJ with the complicity of NJ Fish and Wildlife. The greatest factoid was that the coyotes were tattooed inside their lips with some sort of serial number. I had an ex-friend who swore he shot three over several years with serial numbers. :confused:

The article really illustrates that the eastern coyote is extremely adaptive and that it is here to stay.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Coyotes don’t carry rabies

Not everyone agrees.
Any warm-blooded mammal can carry or contract rabies, but the primary carriers in North America are raccoons, skunks, bats, foxes, and coyotes.

Coyotes & Rabies
Coyotes are known carriers of rabies, which is spread through bites and scratches. The illness progresses quickly and early symptoms are similar to those of the flu. Infected individuals may also experience hallucinations, anxiety, tremors, uncontrollable salivation, and even paralysis as the virus attacks the central nervous system. People bitten by a potentially rabid coyote should seek medical attention immediately.