Invalid Birdseye file

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Error message on Oregon 450 start-up. Anyone know of a way to identify the file, other than delete one at a time. Garmins' site offers no help, just a generic message that a file has been loaded for a different device, which is not the case.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The only time I've ever seen that message was when I tried to send a sample Birdseye file before I had subscribed. How long have the files been on your Oregon? Did this just start happening for no reason, or did you recently send Birdseye to your GPS? Has your subscription expired? If so and you try to send anything from Basecamp to your Oregon, you would get that message.

It is important to back up the actual files from the Oregon after you have sent them (copy the .jnx files back to another folder on your computer). These files have already been unlocked for your GPS and will continue to work even if your subscription expires. But once the subscription expires you can't send Birdseye from Basecamp anymore.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The only time I've ever seen that message was when I tried to send a sample Birdseye file before I had subscribed. How long have the files been on your Oregon? Did this just start happening for no reason, or did you recently send Birdseye to your GPS? Has your subscription expired? If so and you try to send anything from Basecamp to your Oregon, you would get that message.

It is important to back up the actual files from the Oregon after you have sent them (copy the .jnx files back to another folder on your computer). These files have already been unlocked for your GPS and will continue to work even if your subscription expires. But once the subscription expires you can't send Birdseye from Basecamp anymore.

Thaniks Boyd. Just started happening when starting the 450. No messages in Basecamp and all the Birdseye stuff is viewable with it. My subscription has been expired about a year and I have not tried to load or reload anything, I had all I wanted. Confusing. I'll just reload the files I had. It would be helpful if the message had the file name that is invalid :rolleyes:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That's strange. But as I mentioned, make sure you have backed up the files that are stored inthe \Garmin\Birdseye folder on the GPS itself (or card in the GPS). They are the only ones which will work after your subscription expires. If you just have files in Basecamp your computer, they will not work unless your subscription is active (even though you downloaded them while the subscription was active). The unlocking is done when basecamp sends the files to the GPS.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Boyd, this reminds me of a question I wanted to ask you, though only somewhat related. I know there are two main terrain GPS brands out there; Magellan and Garmin. What is the consensus amongst all your GPS forum participants as far as accuracy...who generally sells the most consistently accurate GPS for terrain? In other words, if I'm heading towards a waypoint, who keeps me on course the most?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That's strange. But as I mentioned, make sure you have backed up the files that are stored inthe \Garmin\Birdseye folder on the GPS itself (or card in the GPS). .

After 37 years in IT, backup becomes second nature ;)

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Thanks Boyd for the tip. I have over 9 G of Birdseye painfully downloaded over several months.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
one advantage of Magellan over Garmin is it reads out in feet from a mile while Garmin only reads in feet from a tenth of a mile.If your worried about support either mechanical or technical go with Garmin,Magellan has none.