Is Carranza Rd open?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
It's open from Nacle to the railroad tracks and looks open past that. No signs. The last time I drove to Speedwell it was very bumpy.

Reactions: MuckSavage

yellowjeepguy

Mar 30, 2021
sicklerville
I was driving down Hawkins Bridge Rd into the area of the open field and historic foundation ruins when I was pulled over by a ranger and when i asked if everything was OK he said that I wasn’t allowed to be in the area. I mentioned I was passing through to get to carranza rd and he said nope.

I was confused by this because I’ve been back there dozens of times, see many vehicles passing through, and there are no signs posted anywhere to suggest the road isn’t for public use. I didn’t get any ticket and the officer was friendly, but I’ve been looking all over for any restrictions on that road and just can’t find any!

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I was driving down Hawkins Bridge Rd into the area of the open field and historic foundation ruins when I was pulled over by a ranger and when i asked if everything was OK he said that I wasn’t allowed to be in the area. I mentioned I was passing through to get to carranza rd and he said nope.

I was confused by this because I’ve been back there dozens of times, see many vehicles passing through, and there are no signs posted anywhere to suggest the road isn’t for public use. I didn’t get any ticket and the officer was friendly, but I’ve been looking all over for any restrictions on that road and just can’t find any!
I'm confused by your description. Are you talking about Friendship? https://online.boydsmaps.com/#17/39.75118/-74.58493/pines2020

yellowjeepguy

Mar 30, 2021
sicklerville
And you were driving on Carranza Rd (not Hakwins Bridge Rd, btw)? Look at the target: https://online.boydsmaps.com/#17/39.75013/-74.58487/pines2020

If so, the ranger is either inept or full of sh*t. Either way, I'd contact the Park Police about it.
Yep, driving from batsto—>Washington TP—>Carranza rd on my way to the memorial. Ok well, thanks for letting me know. I like driving that route and it’s a good area to see some history. I understand officers wanting to keep the area nice but maybe they should focus on people vandalizing and not just passing through. I’ll contact park police to confirm nothing has changed with road restrictions and post back.

yellowjeepguy

Mar 30, 2021
sicklerville
Just called the Egg Harbor City office and was told that there shouldn’t be any restrictions on Carranza Rd right now and any road that doesn’t have posted signs are clear for driving. Strange.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Seems odd to me. Unless there was a good reason such as a fire or police activity, those roads are open. Everyone needs to post back if this happens to you.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
There is a major paving project happening on 563 from above Speedwell to near Jenkins. Traffic is only allowed in one direction and 15 minute waits for your chance to go are common. If a driver came out to 563 from Friendship they would likely cause a major traffic issue. My guess is that the police presence had something to do with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd