Is Hanson clearing the tracks?

Mudtrudger

Feb 4, 2009
Coastal Monmouth
Thanks Guy,

It is the Woodmansie pits that I meant. The sign on Savoy Road Says Hanson, the British Resorce Company which I guess bought the pits some years back.

Jay

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
From what I've heard, service on that line may be necessary to provide material for the new Hudson River tunnel project that was recently approved. It will be the countrys largest transportation project to last for 7 years. A new company has been given the rail maintenance contract by Clayton.

"New Jersey Seashore Lines
New Short Line Starts Up in New Jersey
October 21, 2009

A new short line railroad operator, the New Jersey Seashore Lines, began existence this week as rail right-of-way once owned by the Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ) was cleared of underbrush in preparation for upgrading.

The 13 miles of right-of-way, owned by the Clayton Cos. Inc., will be rehabilitated to allow access to the company’s sand mine in Woodmansie, located in the state’s Pine Barrens region. Clayton Sand has contracted with New Jersey Seashore Lines to operate service on the route between Woodmansie and Lakehurst, where ex-CNJ right-of-way is owned by New Jersey Transit Corp.

All grade crossings along the stretch will be upgraded, with funding provided by the state’s Department of Transportation, one source told Railway Age.

The development follows a decision by the Surface Transportation Board Sept. 25 which, in part, noted, “Anthony Macrie (Macrie), a noncarrier individual, filed a verified notice of exemption pursuant to 49 CFR1180.2(d)(2) to continue in control of Cape May Seashore Lines, Inc. (CMSL), an existing Class III carrier, and its corporate affiliate New Jersey Seashore Lines, Inc. (NJSL), upon the latter becoming a common carrier.”

“NJSL concurrently filed a verified notice of exemption ... to operate line of rail ... owned by a shipper, Clayton Companies, Inc. (Clayton), but Clayton is not an applicant here,” the decision read. “According to the parties’ filings, after Consolidated Rail Corporation (Conrail) abandoned the line, Clayton acquired it from Conrail in 1985 for use as a private industry track. Clayton has now engaged NJSL to operate the line for 10 years ... NJSL states that it will hold itself out to provide common carrier rail freight service over the line during the 10-year period.”"

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I bet there will be some unhappy home owners along that line. When they bought they should have realized this may happen.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I bet there will be some unhappy home owners along that line. When they bought they should have realized this may happen.Guy

Guy, the only stretch I see where that would happen is close to some seniors in Whiting. I don't see it as too much of a nuiscance and Mart is right about the trucks, which are a huge pain in the butt.

It would be cool to run a Sunday Brunch car down to Woodmansie and back with a little history lecture of the surrounding area.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I think the train will eliminate the big trucks running down the road.

True, but I would imagine the train will run at night to minimize traffic disruptions at the crossings for 530 and 539 and perhaps Lakehurst. Not sure which is worse, but it will certainly save the roads from certain pulverization.

I wonder how the material would travel from Lakehurst.