Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Cicada's that is. Nothing around here.

http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/the-brood-ii-emergence-has-begun/

12397.7748302.jpg

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I have been reading about their expected emergence and have been looking forward to it, I love their song! I have neither seen or heard one yet. So I went back to review my pictures from their last major apperance. One nice feature of digiutal pictures is that they have a date stamp. My pictures span the dates of May 13 to May 23 2004.
May 16, 2004
IMG_0028.JPG

Maybe it was warmer then. We'll see.

Reactions: glowordz and John

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
New Jersey's invasion of cicadas has started in the wake of two days of warm weather.
The insects have started to emerge from the soil in droves for the first time in 17 years and that could make for a noisy and buggy Memorial Day holiday weekend cookout.
They've been spotted in Tenafly, Wayne, Colonia, Fanwood, Mendham and Montclair.
Rutgers University entomologist George Hamilton tells The Record newspaper people with sunny, shade-free yards will likely get the first wave since cicadas leave their holes only after the soil temperature hits 64 degrees.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Cicadas-Arrival-NJ-208626181.html

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think they are here. Starting last Monday I heard a loud noise in the distance outside and thought it was something mechanical, like a big generator or air conditioner or something. Sort of a high pitched whirring sound. Then I remember mistaking the cicada's for the same kind of thing when they were here before.

But it;s sort of a "diffused" sound and hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. When I walk around the woods out back, I don't hear it locally. It's off in the distance somewhere to the Northwest, which is mostly private land. It's heavily wooded right around my house, so maybe they're in a clearing like a field in the distance.

Wherever they are, it must be really loud when you get right on top of them. It's quite noticeable here inside my house. Anybody else seeing or hearing them yet?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yes, that sounds like what I hear. They are definitely off in the distance somewhere, maybe 1/4 mile away, so I guess there are bazillions. :) I can hear them right now inside, with the windows closed but air conditioning off. If you were talking to someone or if there were ambient mechanical noise you probably wouldn't hear them. But in a quiet room they are very noticeable.

I just opened the window and put an MXL 840 (small diaphragm condenser) microphone out on the porch to record this in Logic Pro with an audio interface. It won't play in my browser for some reason, but it should work if you right-click and download to your computer. http://stephencreek.com/njpb/cicada.mp3

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Haha - just so happens that I watched that movie again over the weekend. What a classic, with James Whitmore, James Arness and Edmund Gwenn (Santa Claus from Miracle on 34th Street) as the scientist. Fess Parker even has a cameo! :) I think the scenes in the storm sewers at the end must have been one of the inspirations for James Cameron in Aliens.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I have noticed that during the afternoon heat, the cicadas get much more quiet. Right now I can barely hear them. Seems like they are loudest in the morning.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have noticed that during the afternoon heat, the cicadas get much more quiet. Right now I can barely hear them. Seems like they are loudest in the morning.

Nothing at all around here so far.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

They may be on the way out; they don't live very long. I've read its about 2 weeks.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Report's on the NJ Birding site are reporting 'millions' of them Woodbridge to Bridgewater, 'tree's dripping with them'. Folks are claiming to hear them in their car while drving on I-287 with windows closed.

Thankfully, none here. I don't recall them the last time either :D