Jackson Road Closed

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Ro & I went for a drive down Jackson Rd from route 541/Stokes Rd. We were shocked to see signs "Road Closed" and found concrete barriers across the road at the north edge of a lake at about the Camden/Burlington county line.
Thought this was a public road? Who gave authority to block it? Why?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That bridge at the Camden/Burlington line is a mess so maybe they were working on it. It is interesting to note a man I know will start a new job on Monday and has to travel down Jackson to get to work. Won't he be surprised!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Ro & I went for a drive down Jackson Rd from route 541/Stokes Rd. We were shocked to see signs "Road Closed" and found concrete barriers across the road at the north edge of a lake at about the Camden/Burlington county line.
Thought this was a public road? Who gave authority to block it? Why?

It sounds like you are talking about the gravel surfaced Medford-Jackson Road at Carol-Ida Lake, a.k.a. Ladies' Lake campground. That road is barricaded before the Mullica River piped crossing and the road has been out for a long time. I know several local people who have campsites on the Lake and they have not been happy having to go all the way up into Medford and come all the way back down to the lake.

There is an apparent argument between multiple government agencies as to who is responsible for the culvert crossing, the long embankment and the road over the crossing. I haven't heard anything new for a few months.

Is it here Johnny ?
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.785959128082126&lng=-74.86014918456118&z=16&type=nj2015&gpx=

Last edited:

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Redneck 350: That's yhr spot.
Many thanks for the explanation. I wondered if the road had been "dedicated", and if so, by whom? That should settle "who's in charge" arguments, if there were no later arrangements.
We were coming back from Vineland and travel service said to turn off 73 onto Jackson Rd and I thought "this ought to be interesting". They they had us take Hopewell to Taunton Lakes. We turned south on 541 and passed Jackson Rd intersection. I wondered how that could be, Jackson Road was far north of Hoopewell. Got home dug out a map and, Voila! There's two Jackson Roads in that same area. Situations like this used to elicit: "Beautiful, jf b."

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Redneck 350: That's yhr spot.
Many thanks for the explanation. I wondered if the road had been "dedicated", and if so, by whom? That should settle "who's in charge" arguments, if there were no later arrangements.
We were coming back from Vineland and travel service said to turn off 73 onto Jackson Rd and I thought "this ought to be interesting". They they had us take Hopewell to Taunton Lakes. We turned south on 541 and passed Jackson Rd intersection. I wondered how that could be, Jackson Road was far north of Hoopewell. Got home dug out a map and, Voila! There's two Jackson Roads in that same area. Situations like this used to elicit: "Beautiful, jf b."

The situation is more complicated because the River is a municipal as well as a county boundary line. Waterford Township, Camden County on one side and Medford Township, Burlington County on the other.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I take Jackson Road from Rt 73 to the 1st stop sign going towards Indian Mills (just past the cranberry bog), to get to work. It looks like they are replacing a storm drain or sewer line. There is a detour if I'm running late (which is almost every day these days). It is usually open on my way home (6:40PM or so). Don't know if this will help or not.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I take Jackson Road from Rt 73 to the 1st stop sign going towards Indian Mills (just past the cranberry bog), to get to work. It looks like they are replacing a storm drain or sewer line. There is a detour if I'm running late (which is almost every day these days). It is usually open on my way home (6:40PM or so). Don't know if this will help or not.
The original poster was talking about Medford-Jackson Road piker56. See my post 5 above. Kind of confusing.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Yup, you're right Redneck. So many road names change I can't keep up! It's A.G.E. disease. Gets worse every year!

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me because it still felt like crap, but it looked like new lumber on the paved jackson rd bridge...

Reactions: Teegate