Jan 1974 National Geographic

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Thanks to the kindness of Barry C., I was able to enjoy a fabulous article in a 1974 edition of National Geographic. This article titled, "The People of New Jersey's Pine Barrens" by John McPhee brought back vivid memeories of forgotten people.
I actually went to old Tabernacle School with Bub Severs (p.67), grandchildren. I remember his sons Joel and Devon who were good frineds of my fathers. I even recalled ripping the clothies off Bub's grandson, Dewayn in the old School play yard. Right behind where the old School from Friendship sits. We were is 5th grade at the time. (I grew up very tough and fought other girls as well as boys throughout school)
On page 73 shows Fred Brown sitting at his kitchen table at his long gone cabin in Hog Wallow. It reminded me so much of the table I grew up at. Was it Ann Page, red & white black pepper cans? Glass ketchup and mustard jars, A&P cardboard milk containers and dirty ash trays among other little odds & ends. These tables that I was once so ashamed of, now fill me with pride. The last page (77), shows a diry blond haired boy, laughing in back of a junked red pickup. The caption explains who the boy is, Larry Anderson, who would now be 34 years old.. I believe he still lives in front of the Hedger House. It speaks of his father Wilbert Anderson, who I believe might be who Iknow as Webb Anderson. This man would have been good friends with Jackie Wills who is mentioned in the caption as owner of the truck. (I will find out more on Thursday when I have coffee and eclars with Webb's stepson who lives in Jones Mills, Chatsworth.) After I find out more on Thursday, I will post other fond memories of Webb and Jackie Wills of Chatsworth....Suresue...

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Webb is Wilbert

Well, I just could'nt wait. My son Wesley and I started out riding from Washington all the way through to Hawkins Bridge. We then traveled out to Friendship without getting lost. The quads have been back, running all through the ruins and doing wheelies in the middle of the road. We then ventured to the Eagle gravesite of Charles Wills, then onto Apple Pie Hill. That is when I decided to wait no longer. We checkedout Chatsworth Cemetery, looking for the stone of Webb Anderson. And yes, he is the one and only Wilbert Anderson from the article. He died in 1985. Next to him is Harry Dilks, another legend of the Pines. Also, there is the stone of one year old Christopher Silcox, Harry's grandson. I have so many wonderful memories of these two men, also remembering little Christopher during his short life...Sue..

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Nat. Geo. gathering the facts

Well, my brunch today of eclars and cola, went quite well. Big Haze and I sat talking while watching across the old blueberry field waiting for deer that never came. We talked about all the hog brush he has cut over the years. He stated he cutted a good many acres. But after a three year period, it all grows back. Only a few men are left making their living off the woods, a few still in Chatsworth and a couple in Browns Mills. Other then hog brush, the only thing really selling right now is grapevines. Birching still sells alittle, but don't pay as well as hog brush.
We then went on to discuss the article. He had seen the article many years ago, and asked if I could bring it up for him to see again. Big Haze's memory is quite well, and he remembered much of the interesting article. His memory held more then I thought I knew. For Webb Anderson has a son Wilbert. It is his son who is mentioned in the article. On page 68, it shows a man sitting in an old truck. I thought the man looked familier, not realizing the man I knew most my life as "Peany" was named Wilbert.
I should have realized because him and Jackie Wills are life long friends. I recently seen Jackie for the first time in years. He looked great. Healthier then ever and dressed up to boot! Wilbert Anderson, AKA "Peany" lives across from the Hedger House. I see him much more often. He is still living and doing the same as twenty years ago, or better yet, his whole life. Apparently, Peany has a son Larry, (p.76) which I never knew about. The Larry Anderson I was thinking about is Hazy's age,60 yrs.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Pineconing & old truck (p.68)

On page 68 of the article, is an old truck. What confused me about the truck was the gas can on top of where the hood should be. I thought maybe the gas tank had a hole in it, or maybe no tank at all. According to Big Haze, who remembers the truck up and running...the gas can was put there on purpose. Apparently, the pygmy pines of the plains were much more dense way back when. So the Pineys made their trucks to accommodate. Many gas lines and tanks were made to leak while crossing the pines. So this make shift gasoline routing system was constructed. Sometimes the can was rigged right up front on the floor next to the driver. Other times it was rigged all the way in the back of the vehicle, either on the floor or on the truck body area. The fence like grills were common in order to protect from a busted radiator as well as other damage. Haze said one such truck still exist parked out near Rt. 72, near an old gas station. He says he hasn,t seen the truck in years but thinks it is still there. He guesses it is proberly a bucket of rush by now....Sue...

B

BarryC

This is all great stuff. I'm glad you are enjoying the article, and have been talking to these people. Very cool.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Pineconing & old truck (p.68)

suresue592003 said:
Haze said one such truck still exist parked out near Rt. 72, near an old gas station. He says he hasn,t seen the truck in years but thinks it is still there. He guesses it is proberly a bucket of rush by now....Sue...

That gas station is more than likely Heneckers which now is the Barnegat auto wreckers or something to that effect. There were quite a few trucks on his lot that must have been removed before the present owners took over. So that vehicle may have been removed then. Or it could be in the woods hidden away like so many other vehicles in the pines.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Sue, I remember "Hazey Diltz" (spelling?) from my high school days in Pemberton. His name would strike fear in the hearts of everyone in shool who threatened any of his friends. I was at his house about 6 years beyond high school. He was a nice enuff guy, not the killer everyone bragged about.

I would be real interested to know about the guy in McPhee's book who was Fred Brown's friend; Bill Wasowitch. Is he still around? I'd like to talk to him. I really feel he and I would have a lot in common..........bob

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
By the way, one other gentleman I knew I bet you knew too; Buster Leek. He lived on three bridges road. Do you recall him? Good guy, but what a character. A real piney.

bob

B

BarryC

Bob,
Look in my photo gallery. I have a news article about Bill somewhere in my photo gallery. I think it's towards the end of the gallery, in one of the last pages. The article tells what he does and where he lives.
Barry
BobM said:
Sue, I remember "Hazey Diltz" (spelling?) from my high school days in Pemberton. His name would strike fear in the hearts of everyone in shool who threatened any of his friends. I was at his house about 6 years beyond high school. He was a nice enuff guy, not the killer everyone bragged about.

I would be real interested to know about the guy in McPhee's book who was Fred Brown's friend; Bill Wasowitch. Is he still around? I'd like to talk to him. I really feel he and I would have a lot in common..........bob

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
BobM, there is a Three Bridge Road in Shamong, which is still called Indian Mills. Is that where you mean. Sorry, I do not recall Buster Leek. But if he was from Shamong, I am sure I can inquire about him. I believe Marlyn S. from Buzbys Store in Chatsworth recently told me that yes, he is still around, (Bill W.). But I can also find out from Big H. So you remember him? LOL. I actually dated him for three years. WOW What an adventure that was!! He is a totally different man today. No drinking or running amuck. An older, great wise father and true lover of his surroundings. Remember his family? I recently saw all of them for the first time in 20 years. It was great but under very sad circumstances. ...Sue

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BarryC said:
Bob,
Look in my photo gallery. I have a news article about Bill somewhere in my photo gallery. I think it's towards the end of the gallery, in one of the last pages. The article tells what he does and where he lives.
Barry

Barry help me out please, I can't find it............bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you click on it the article goes to full size.

Guy

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
After reading Barry's article on Bill Wasiowich, I think I hit a gold mine! Years ago, my dad was an inactive member of a gun club in the woodmansie area. He often talked about sitting up there for hours talking with a man that lived there. If this is the same man... then I am in!!.....suresue........

B

bach2yoga

Sue,

I really enjoyed listening to your reminiscens (sp?). It certainly makes the article so much more alive to hear from someone firsthand.

Renee