Jersey Devil Goes Hollywood

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
Read all about it. A movie, filmed in the Pine Barrens, opened at select New Jersey theatres on Friday.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=5619004&BRD=1697&PAG=461&dept_id=44551&rfi=6

The Pine Barrens, and it denizen, the Jersey Devil, after 200 years, still captures the public's awe -- enough for Hollywood to make a movie about this wildland.

A few months ago, a friend of mine shuttered at the thought of visiting the Pine Barrens, saying that it is a wild nomans land where the Jersey Devil lives.

luvs2yak

Well if anyone has seen the movie (13th Child, Legend of the Jersey Devil.) then by now you know how pathetic the film is. My opinion...
BAD acting, BAD dialogue, and the Devil was not even close to a good representation of the real fella. The devil was something that belonged in a movie like "The Alien". It was truely an embarrassment to the Pines. I sat thru the entire movie only because I am cheap and had already paid. The ONLY redeeming fact was that you did get a tiny glimpse of the Batsto Mansion and the beach on the Mullica River. I would be interested to hear others opinions.

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
Sorry to hear you didn't like the movie. I couldn't find reviews from critics I'm familiar with, but I did an engine search and found reviews of the movie from three unknowns, who all more or less echoed your sediments. The reviewers basically said that it was a mindless, cheap, cliche-like flick, lacking substance.

I just posted the news about the movie because it had a Pine Barren connection. Maybe next time I'll read reviews before I post. I probably won't go see it. Life has enough disappointments. What becomes of the broken hearted...

Jeff