Jersey Devil: Not Just Folklore?

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008
Ha Ha Ha!

Bob, you and Jerseyman crack me up! You know they are going to come out of the woodwork since the Jersey Devil is supposed to appear this year.

I was married to the Houston Devil once. :D

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I would be willing to bet some serious money it was a turkey vulture......all birds of prey hop when on a kill.....I've seen vultures hop exactly like kangaroos because they are to stuffed with food to fly. A bird of prey will sometimes become so gourged that hopping is there only way of retreat because flying away is not an option. It is my opinion that all jersey devil sightings is based on sightings of turkey vultures. While I can't verify this I believe turkey vultures are much more abundant then a 100 years ago. For one we have more roads, which leads to more roadkill, which leads to more vultures. And two most birds were killed off big time in the late 1800's, early 1900's by farmers, bounties were placed on birds of prey.....therefore seeing turkey vultures may have been much more rare and........thats my theory. Personally I spend about 20 hours a week much of it in the middle of the night......I've never seen anything unusual....quite honestly I see very little besides sand roads and pitch pine.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I would be willing to bet some serious money it was a turkey vulture......all birds of prey hop when on a kill.....I've seen vultures hop exactly like kangaroos because they are to stuffed with food to fly. A bird of prey will sometimes become so gourged that hopping is there only way of retreat because flying away is not an option. It is my opinion that all jersey devil sightings is based on sightings of turkey vultures. While I can't verify this I believe turkey vultures are much more abundant then a 100 years ago. For one we have more roads, which leads to more roadkill, which leads to more vultures. And two most birds were killed off big time in the late 1800's, early 1900's by farmers, bounties were placed on birds of prey.....therefore seeing turkey vultures may have been much more rare and........thats my theory. Personally I spend about 20 hours a week much of it in the middle of the night......I've never seen anything unusual....quite honestly I see very little besides sand roads and pitch pine.

Don't forget the herons. People are not used to seeing them in the trees where they roost at night. When startled they can make some horrendous sounds. The shrieks, cries and the huge wingspan can really startle someone.

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
not to sound crazy, lol, but im sure most of the people hear have spent enough time in the woods to know what sound is what, and all im saying is that sometimes things dont make sense, i was camping out one night in cedarville in a stretch of woods that goes on forever basically, past maurice town and eveything and i heard noises that didnt sound right, almost like a woman screem, and a roar in one, i think i felt my blood freeze when i heard it, lol, but i wasnt eaten by a pissed of monster, so i dont know, as people continue to encroach on the environment with development and whatnot, if there is one, eventually hell have no place to hide, right? guess well have to be patient

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
not to sound crazy, lol, but im sure most of the people hear have spent enough time in the woods to know what sound is what, and all im saying is that sometimes things dont make sense, i was camping out one night in cedarville in a stretch of woods that goes on forever basically, past maurice town and eveything and i heard noises that didnt sound right, almost like a woman screem, and a roar in one, i think i felt my blood freeze when i heard it, lol, but i wasnt eaten by a pissed of monster, so i dont know, as people continue to encroach on the environment with development and whatnot, if there is one, eventually hell have no place to hide, right? guess well have to be patient

I think 99% of JD stories can be explained. I also heard screams I can't explain. The source was about 20 feet away from my tent. What do I think it was......wrong web site for that. Maybe someday over a beer at the Pic.