Jugs and Mugs Bar

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
I have been searching for the Jugs and Mugs Bar on Rt. 73 in Berlin. I realize it has been torn down but can anyone point out it's former location on an aerial image?

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
Thanks! I have been trying to find it on the 1980s/1990s aerials.
My buddy and I were driving past it the other day and we couldn't remember the exact location. We both have some fond memories of that place!
Amazing how built up Rt. 73 is 30 years later.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It was located on the same property where the Burger King is currently located. We did the surveying and site engineering for the Burger King.
The old bar structure was going to reopen as Jimmies and Sooks, a crab specialty restaurant (there is one in Cambridge, MD) but it fell through and the building was later demo'd.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
I figured Scott would know the answer!
That's definitely the spot. I remember the big parking lot in the rear.

That building was pretty unique. It was built like a barn with a loft.

Reactions: MuckSavage

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My favorite bar of all time was the Old Ship Inn, also in Berlin Township and located on Haddon Avenue. A true dive in every sense of the word, right down to the perpetually overflowing cesspool in the backyard that greeted every patron as they entered through the back door. I don't think the front door even opened.

The place was primarily frequented by a small group of local, older, happy drunks. Me and my buddies started going there in our late teens (drinking age was 18) as an alternative to the Gibbsboro Tavern where the owner was a little too full of himself and stingy with the drinks. The Old Ship welcomed us like long-lost friends and the barmaid, Mary, said that we were breathing life back into the place. They had two full sized pool tables, a bumper pool table, shuffleboard and several dart boards to keep all of us entertained.

Mary invited four of us to a big barbecue at her house only a week after she met us. My friend Joey, who just recently passed away, accidentally stabbed himself with a clam knife trying to open clams when we first got there and then walked around the barbecue all day with a blood-soaked rag taped around his hand. I tried jumping over a fence just to be cool and fell on my face. Instead of kicking us out Mary just said, "I love you guys!" Good times indeed. :)

The Old Ship eventually closed when I was in my twenties and it was gutted and expanded and reopened as Oceanos. Now it is known as the Avenue Diner.:(