July Pine Plains

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I spent a beautiful evening far out in the Pine Plains, both sides of 539, south of Warren Grove. I love it...so elemental and raw. I know this bird. Do you? He/she stayed very close to me.

watermark.php

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
by the silouhette it is definitely either a whipoorwill,nighthawk or chuck wills widow.we are at the extreme northern limit of the chuck and I've only heard a few in my life.I have never seen a nighthawk but think I've heard em before.by all logical evidence I'd say it's a classic profile of a whipoorbill,I mean will.
Al

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
My dogs were swooped upon by 2 birds near this area at the sand pit near the bombing range on July 15th 2008. I snapped this shot. I think it is a nighthawk.... so maybe the same pair (I know that is a stretch but you never know).

watermark.php

watermark.php

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I'm going with a nighthawk....I've been told that the nighthawk is declining in numbers bad. I see lots around speedwell, friendship.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes, those who chose Nighthawk are correct. It was angry at me and Buddy for invading his territory and stopped here 15 feet from my truck, and calmly let me take the photos.

This was one of those magical Pine Barren nights for me. The glow stayed with me all day today. It often gets like that for me when I go out to some of these really wild and lonely areas. The memory of last night lingers and makes me long to go back.

This is a really wild area. You have to walk to get there. No roads in. It was in the burned area.

watermark.php

The green is growing back quickly.

watermark.php

It was nice to see a healthy stand of orange milkwort and rhynchospora alba. Nice contrast.

watermark.php

watermark.php

A remnant 'great' spung provided stark beauty for me.

watermark.php

I found the rare red milkwort here. First time for me; Asclepis rubra.

watermark.php

Carex collinsii against a burnt cedar.

watermark.php

The fire swept through here. All the cedar was killed in this grove. And yet, the bog is coming back nicely. Its like a wonderland back here for a guy like me. Nothing but the wind and greenery--a shady grove. Plenty of room to roam and explore freely.

watermark.php

This tree was unique. Look at the shaft of light and the color of the bark. I am a Christian, and this one moves me. I can't understand it or remember the light, but the photo does not lie.

watermark.php

Another shot of that Nighthawk.

watermark.php

Closer. You can see the white ring on his neck.

watermark.php

Farther away.

watermark.php

Homeward bound:

watermark.php

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wasn't that a Night Hawk we saw near Quaker Bridge with Mike Baker and Jesscia. I videotaped it and forgot to turn the camera on :(

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was looking at orange milkwort just yesterday and was wondering what it was.i had no camera to photoit and no book to identify it.glad you solved that riddle for me Bob.
also that last pic is classic plains.looks like where we were walking that last trip we took there.
Al

Oct 25, 2006
Great pics as always Bob, the unique tree pic also inspired me, i definitely needed to see a photo today of that tree, thank you for posting it.

Jim

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Carex collinsii against a burnt cedar.

watermark.php

So many lovely shots, Bob: the verdant "barrens," the magnificent nighthawk set against a changing sky, and that remarkable burned-out heaven-lit stump . . . but it was the delicate beauty of the carex that grabbed me tonight. "Bloom where you're planted" may be trite, but it's a good reminder. Thank you.

Glo

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great shot!!!

I get to drive both Rt. 72 & Rt. 539 almost every evening at around 730-800pm.
It is beautifull!

72 in years past was much nicer than it is now. The lack of fires along there, or the quick response in putting them out, has allowed the trees to grow much higher.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm gonna remove the nighthawks after a bit as I'm afraid I'll find it on a strangers web site like I did with my avatar.