Jumbo, Oldmans Twp

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So is the best way to get there on foot from the bridge?

Guy

harrygahm

Feb 20, 2011
Jumbo

No, the best way to get there is by boat. I used to drive south along the railroad from Center Square rd to a point where a small stream is close to the tracks , this is where I kept my 8' alum boat. Things have changed over the last 45 years and I don't know if this is possible now.

There is a place to put a small boat in on the south side of Oldmans Creek at the route 130 bridge over the creek. This would be on the right side of 130 traveling north.

There appears to be a small dock on the creek west of the bungalow remains. Good Luck, watch the tide

donkeydoodle

Dec 22, 2010
Harry,

It's a shame you still don't own that land. I would love have a little getaway so close to home, even if you could only get there by boat. I would be interested in seeing the pictures you have of your old cottage. Any chance you can post them here?

Did anyone have any luck getting out there through the railroad tracks? I was thinking of doing the same thing.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did anyone have any luck getting out there through the railroad tracks? I was thinking of doing the same thing.

I have been right at the road by the tracks a few times in the past few months and never went down them. I talked with someone I know who lives near there and he said you can't get from the tracks to Jumbo. I don't know how true that is.

Guy

donkeydoodle

Dec 22, 2010
Harry,

Do you have any good stories about Jumbo when you owned that place? From Historical Aerials, there doesn't seem to be too many bungalows left in 1965.

djprocida

Aug 11, 2019
Waterford Works
This might be of interest-My grandfather was the last surviving member of the Jumbo Rod and Gun Club. The men had a wagon fitted to the train tracks and used it to haul gear to the shack. I fished there once as a kid. Jumbo GC owns blk 7, lots 72 and 73 in Oldmans Twp. When my grandfather died, my father took over paying the taxes. He passed and I pay them. Not sure why but both lots total $11 per year.
Dan

If you're still interested in Jumbo, here is a great photo album of the old cottages and duck hunting that used to take place. I am also interested in the history of Jumbo. Please post anymore info you might have on it.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=893

This is a wonderful link-- old hunting views, classic guns. Years ago I met the younger family member who operated Belleplain Winery. He told me his grandfather had planted shrubbery along the field borders specifically to support the population of local gamebirds.
On his office wall was a photo of his Italian grandfather from an old newspaper article: a strong, stocky man dressed in tattered workclothes typical of a working farmer, holding in both arms across his body an immaculate double barrel shotgun. I didn't then and still don't now know enough to identify the make, but the impression I got was that he didn't care about appearance, only function.
The old photos in the link are similar, and I thank you for posting it.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Jumbo GC owns blk 7, lots 72 and 73 in Oldmans Twp.

Welcome to the site Dan! This is the location of those two lots. It appears that they are not contiguous.

online.boydsmaps.com/#17/39.77284/-75.40274/parcelsPro

Note: The parcel map in this post has been discontinued due to privacy concerns

Last edited: