Jumbo, Oldmans Twp

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I love the conspiratorial look on the gent's face who is pouring the wine (or maybe its Jerzey Lightnin'). It's like he's saying...."Nothing like it...us boys out here hunting, bullshitting, and having a nip....and no one can stop us....here Runt, have another!".

:D

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Very very nice photo's! I see Socony Vacuum signs in one of them. My grandfather worked there and lived in Repaupo not far from there.

Guy

I'm a few generations up. But I now work at what once was the Socony Plant, then Socony Vacuum, the Mobil, then Valero, now PBF, Paulsboro Refining Company

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Savage 99

The deer picture too has a classic gun, the Savage 99. It is the lever gun being held by one of the hunters. It was produced from 1899 to 1997 and was a popular gun in the Pa. woods over the years.

Scott,

I have a Savage 99 chambered in .300 Savage. You are correct in your statement of the guns popularity in PA. My family is from upstate near State College PA and my uncle purchased it new. There are 3 of these in my family still, the others are .308s. The ammo and or brass for the .300 is getting tough to find, so I only use it on very special occasions. It is a shooter though, wish I could use it more.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I love the conspiratorial look on the gent's face who is pouring the wine (or maybe its Jerzey Lightnin'). It's like he's saying...."Nothing like it...us boys out here hunting, bullshitting, and having a nip....and no one can stop us....here Runt, have another!".

:D

Looks like an older version of picture I took a few years ago of three drunken woodsmen near Mount Misery.
It was a blustery day but me innards were warm.

wine.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The individuals in your photo look.....well....older :)

Guy

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
The deer picture too has a classic gun, the Savage 99. It is the lever gun being held by one of the hunters. It was produced from 1899 to 1997 and was a popular gun in the Pa. woods over the years.

Scott,

I have a Savage 99 chambered in .300 Savage. You are correct in your statement of the guns popularity in PA. My family is from upstate near State College PA and my uncle purchased it new. There are 3 of these in my family still, the others are .308s. The ammo and or brass for the .300 is getting tough to find, so I only use it on very special occasions. It is a shooter though, wish I could use it more.

August 1979 I traded in my 300 Savage Mod 99 takedown for a Rem 700 ADL in 30-06...I've regretted it ever since! It was the month b/4 I got married, I had money in the bank and could have purchased the Remington outright...Dad was pushing me as he traded his 300 the year b/4 on a Mod 700 BDL in .270 which I now use...

I remember going to camp my first year carrying Pappy's 8mm Mauser. Dad's one friend also used a Mauser and they were the only bolt actions back then, there were (4) 300 Savages, a Savage in 308 and two Marlin levers in 35 Rem...My cousin still has his grandad's 308 Savage.

Dad did it twice, he traded his Fox for his Browning 'Sweet 16' Auto 5 back in the 50's...At least I still have Pappy's Marlin over/under...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A little bit of a challenge to get to them without a boat. I might be up for that one.

Guy

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
anyone know of a put-in spot on Oldmans Creek. i got the boats 2 miles away.:)

The OldMan is one of the most difficult creeks to access; I have paddled most of the Delaware River tribs, and it was one of my last to bag. Most of the land is private, and none of the public access points are user friendly unless you come up from the Delaware.

Interesting to note the changes in the two photos. In the older one, it appears much of the marsh was diked, which is consistent with most of the streams in the area and would have made for easy land access.

amf

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It looks to me that with a pair of waders it would be semi easy to get from the train tracks to the ruins quite quickly. It is remote enough that one would most likely not have to deal with anyone bothering them. I am going to take a ride down there soon and check it out.

Guy

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Tidal Water

Tides for Auburn, Oldmans Creek, N.J. starting with January 17, 2011.

Day / Tide /......./ Tide Height

17 Low 4:58 AM........ -0.1'
17 High 10:57 AM ...... 4.1'
17 Low 5:58 PM ........ -0.1'
17 High 11:29 PM ....... 3.5'

make sure you check the tide report before you go. there a 3' difference in water depth and strong currents in between high and low tides.:)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Karl! I asked Rob from work if he is interested on going. So one weekend morning very early we are going to give it a try. It may not be for a month because we are waiting for a semi warmer morning. It will be a last minute trip.

Guy

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Jumbo

Awesome. Looks like it would definitely be a cool area to check out. I'm sure there's all sorts of odd bits left laying around. Need a boat? Looks like there's one washed up on the north side of the creek right near the RR bridge! Bring the bilge pump!

harrygahm

Feb 20, 2011
Jumbo

I owned a small cottage on Logan side of Oldmans Creek 1965/1966.
Great place to duck hunt!

Remains of cottage viewable on "BING MAPS".