Just Exploring

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I tried looking for a Hanover Furnace Tract stone today that I could not find years ago and it is still eluding me. So I went to one of the stones closest to it to get a much more accurate reading than I did years ago with my etrex. This stone is in danger of being destroyed if the sand mining that was threatened is still progressing.

IMG_8512.JPG

A few weeks back Gibby gave me a tip on where there was a possible sawmill location and today Jessica and I went to check it out. Here is the aerial that shows the possible location. It turns out I could not find any evidence of a sawmill so I suspect that the circled area was just the location where the logs were loaded on vehicles.

sawmill_operation.jpg

Here is the road in. We know for sure this road is 80 years old.

IMG_8516.JPG

And just inside the woods there is still evidence of the road into the swamp.

IMG_8517.JPG

We then headed over to Green Banks State Forest and did some exploring around an old homestead or gun club. Nothing much there but it is a nice area. We headed into the woods to look for a few monuments which we did not find. We did find a nice size pine tree and a nice cedar swamp. I was thinking about planning a PBX hike in there but I have not decided yet.

Dry cedar swamp. Very nice!

IMG_8519.JPG

Jessica wrapping her arms around the pine tree.

IMG_8520.JPG

Guy

Reactions: Gibby

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Teegate, it is nice that you had a moment to explore that logging site. It would have been exciting to find the remains of a saw mill, we were hopeful. I still get a kick out of seeing "corduroy" roads. Very nice!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Teegate, it is nice that you had a moment to explore that logging site. It would have been exciting to find the remains of a saw mill, we were hopeful. I still get a kick out of seeing "corduroy" roads. Very nice!

I wish we had been there after the big fire. That would have made is so much easier to look around. There may be a concrete base with bolts in it around there somewhere but I didn't see it in that area shown on the aerial.

Good one Bob :)

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I hear the biggest pine in the state resides just north of route 72 just east of manahawkin.never been to it.I know some really big pines down here.I seen a tree list of the states biggest trees years ago.My buddys dad had it.would like to know where to get one of those now. Nice woods,nice stone.I think Jessica could quite easily touch fingers while hugging a flagpole.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I hear the biggest pine in the state resides just north of route 72 just east of manahawkin.never been to it.I know some really big pines down here.I seen a tree list of the states biggest trees years ago.My buddys dad had it.would like to know where to get one of those now. Nice woods,nice stone.I think Jessica could quite easily touch fingers while hugging a flagpole.
Al, google NJ champion trees and it will take you to the web site. I drive by the champion Quercus marilandica all the time.

Tyler Allison

Mar 20, 2012
I tried looking for a Hanover Furnace Tract stone today that I could not find years ago and it is still eluding me. So I went to one of the stones closest to it to get a much more accurate reading than I did years ago with my etrex. This stone is in danger of being destroyed if the sand mining that was threatened is still progressing.

IMG_8512.JPG

A few weeks back Gibby gave me a tip on where there was a possible sawmill location and today Jessica and I went to check it out. Here is the aerial that shows the possible location. It turns out I could not find any evidence of a sawmill so I suspect that the circled area was just the location where the logs were loaded on vehicles.

sawmill_operation.jpg

Here is the road in. We know for sure this road is 80 years old.

IMG_8516.JPG

And just inside the woods there is still evidence of the road into the swamp.

IMG_8517.JPG

We then headed over to Green Banks State Forest and did some exploring around an old homestead or gun club. Nothing much there but it is a nice area. We headed into the woods to look for a few monuments which we did not find. We did find a nice size pine tree and a nice cedar swamp. I was thinking about planning a PBX hike in there but I have not decided yet.

Dry cedar swamp. Very nice!

IMG_8519.JPG

Jessica wrapping her arms around the pine tree.

IMG_8520.JPG

Guy

Tyler Allison

Mar 20, 2012
I've been taking trips into hanover furnace for about a year now. all i found is a few bricks that honestly did not look that old. i also looked all around both lakes and came up with nothing. any idea of where the hot spots are or where the town actually could of been? i tired using an old map that showed the area in 1876 but it was hard determing excacly where the furnace was, plus hanover furnace is older then that. any help would be great

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will answer your question. The furnace is no longer there and is/was on federal property. Seven years ago on 3/19/2005 a few of us from the site went on a tour there with the archeologist who was excavating it. The dam was being replaced so they had to do what they could before all traces of it were lost.

Jessica holding a cannon ball that was found. The man on the right is our webmaster.

Jessica_cannonball.JPG

Wooden Cog.

cog.JPG

Holding back the water

holding.JPG

spillway.JPG

Pieces of wood from the furnace still showing in the dirt.

wood.JPG

Guy

Reactions: Tyler Allison