Kayak - More enjoyable

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
A question for those who have a few hours instead of a whole day.
What do you enjoy more?
Putting in Harrisville and going upstream for a few hours and heading back
or
Putting in Batsto and going upstream for a few hours and heading back

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
It is hard to really vote one over the other. They are both good ideas, and I have done both. Too close to call. How about doing both on two different days?

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
If I only have 3 or 4 hours I usually go to Harrisville, just because I can't get my canoe as far upstream as at Batsto. I save Batsto for days when I have more time. Both are beautiful lakes, though. They are also both good for fishing.
Greg

T

TabernacleNative

I have to vote for Batsto. I did both last summer and once you get to the back of Harrisville Lake, it got real shallow trying to get into the river - annoyingly so. Plus the current was stronger on the Oswego, which made paddling against it way harder. Not to mention the old sigpost that was just hidden underwater and left a huge Titanic-like gouge in my new, 1 month old kayak (I still get PO'd every time I see it).
I enjoyed the paddle from Batsto Lake much more and went much further.

I have to vote for Batsto. I did both last summer and once you get to the back of Harrisville Lake, it got real shallow trying to get into the river - annoyingly so. Plus the current was stronger on the Oswego, which made paddling against it way harder. Not to mention the old sigpost that was just hidden underwater and left a huge Titanic-like gouge in my new, 1 month old kayak (I still get PO'd every time I see it).
I enjoyed the paddle from Batsto Lake much more and went much further.

That the sign halfway up the lake?

T

TabernacleNative

Its about halfway up, near the western shore. N39' 40" 04.1 W74' 31" 21.0
I marked it to give that area a wide berth next time!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Skip both of them and put in at Oswego Lake and go upstream.

Guy

When I worked for Bell Haven Canoe, there was a couple of fellows took a couple of kayaks UP instead of down from Oswego. They went up til dark + then went inland a couple of clicks. Next morning one fellow makes it to a road and hitch hikes back to his car. Calls the wife on the cell or a road phone, and gets informed that the rest of the world is lookin' for them! We had to get the boats (rentals) out of the woods. Several organizations were looking for them that night including, I understand a chopper with infrared. (A three hour tour!):jd:

Word to the wise - If someones waitin' on ya, make the effort!

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
With all due respect

Anyone renting usually doesn't know a whole lot anyhow. Idiots. I'm surprised we don't hear more stories like that. I would go upstream with another person and not tell anyone else. If I ever have to rent or even get a ride from a rental establishment I wouldn't go anymore.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Oh Yea Piker you're really looking for a reason to get a new boat. Upstream in the Oswego ,if it is the part I'm thinking of has a lot of little stick ups under the water , just enough to dig into that Ahem ! alleged spider crack in the hull you want to open up ! LOL! Seriously tho, I've put the Lenape Chief in there and got about Half an hour up and couldn't go any further, might have been the season also , dry.Give me a call about Friday OK? Supposed to pour all day

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,
I have a 15' canoe. Is it passable going upstream with a canoe, or do you need a kayak. I've never did that trip and would like to try it.
Thanks,
Greg

Greg,

On 5/30/2004 Bob and I, along with Bob's friend took two canoes up almost all the way to Sim Place. The Arethusa was blooming, we saw Orange Milkwart, and found a really large pine tree. You can even visit the location of Allen's Bridge which you can find mentioned in many of the maps on this site that Ben's has for us. With the rain we have had I suspect you will have no problem.

Bob trying to catch the big one.

oswego.JPG

Just remember that there is private and Federal property along and near the route, so stay with your canoe. If you decide to go PM me and I will pass along the coordinates of Allen's Bridge if you don't already know.

Guy

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Oh Yea Piker you're really looking for a reason to get a new boat. Upstream in the Oswego ,if it is the part I'm thinking of has a lot of little stick ups under the water , just enough to dig into that Ahem ! alleged spider crack in the hull you want to open up !

OK, go ahead and make fun, so what that I'm not allowed to buy a new boat unless the old one sinks! :) I just don't want to actually be in the boat when it does sink. There are some deep spots in Batsto, maybe we could "hide" it.
Guy, thanks for the info. I'm thinking some time in April or May I would like to do it. I'll try to get my mean OLDer brother Tom M to go with me (in his boat).
Greg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I've done that run also but not quite up to Sim place. It is very nice. I got pretty far in a 17' canoe with my wife, but further in my kayak.