Kayak recommendations?

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Looking to purchase a one person kayak for pines, etc.

I am small stature and would like to haul some overnight equipment along.

Suggestions - experiences - ideas?

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I have always been a fan of Dagger kayaks. Something about the way they track is just right. I have had a few, one was a Perception Keowee that was not all that great, the balance was just off. It was made for touring so it had a bit of a keel, but it was extremely unstable.

Now I have two Dagger Elements, and I could not love them more. They are stable, track perfectly, and have cargo containers and comfortable seats. I got them at Harry's Army-Navy in Hamilton. I think they're 11.5' long.
IMG_2375.jpg

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Looking to purchase a one person kayak for pines, etc.

I am small stature and would like to haul some overnight equipment along.

Suggestions - experiences - ideas?
http://www.belhavencanoe.com/ lets u try their kayaks in the lake. you can also rent one for the day before u buy. i use my 14.5 Carolina Perception for the pines, but is too long for some of the smaller streams. ive been looking at the MAD-River ones, i like the Synergy 12 Canoe http://www.madrivercanoe.com/synergy-12. i just need to justify a 6th boat:rolleyes:

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I am very happy with my Old Town Loon 111.
http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/recreation/loon_111_classic.html
http://www.tp-kayaks.com/_kayaks/_oldtownkayak/loon111.html

At 11 feet it is great for the upper rivers and bogs. The seat slides so you can actually use the space behind the seat and stretch out if you want.

I bought it at The Jersey Paddler.
http://www.jerseypaddler.com/

Ed

I've paddled these, my sister has two of them. They are not too bad! I was impressed. They are small but track well. Not very comfortable for long trips, but that's just me. Maybe I'm just a princess.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I have three Keowees and have owned them for more years than I can remember. I have never had any problems with the balance and they're just the right size at 9' 2" , 33lbs for the bushwhacking kind of paddling we enjoy. I have never gone over in one unless I was trying to.

It must have to do with center of gravity. I am guessing I am more, uh, topheavy than you are. :)

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Great info here thanks i will follow through on the links.

I bought a used aluminum canoe from Belhaven many years ago. Still does its stuff but noisy and too long for the pines in some areas if only one person onboard.

Be well !

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I bought a used aluminum canoe from Belhaven many years ago. Still does its stuff but noisy and too long for the pines in some areas if only one person onboard.
Be well !

The famed Grumman "Tin Tanks" are in my mind still the best. They take a hell of a beating, Save your Ass quite oft, can be loaded beyond belief and still draft little water, take the streams nicely. When alone, I find my 15 footer a little trick at times but I manage and it has kept me out of the water more than a few times. Noisy... Oh yeah but I think that's their signature and gives them character. When you get just right in a current and only have to tilt the paddle to steer and not beat the water causing that noisy lapp sound, they are a treat to look over the nose at the scene before you. Lakes, no wind, sweet. Lakes and wind, misery. Good with the bad right?

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Don't feel bad Bill. You're not alone. They do that to Largo too.

Hey! wait a minute. Bugger you old buddy. I may have had one or two... or six or eight, or 12 or more run screaming in the other direction, but I got a real winner fooled into sticking around. I always tell her, she knew what she was getting into. I am one of a kind. She is a kind one. Lucky Largo.

g.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I'll back up Ed's recommendation for the Old Town Loon. I have a 13'8" one but I would recommend the 11'1'' for pinebarrens use only and if you are smaller.

Jeff

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Theres some pricey picks listed on this page. Unless you want to spend the dough, today is the first day of spring, which means garage sale city. I've seen a lot of nice used kayaks out there at garage sales. It seems to have been a big fad in the yuppie community, but once people found out it took time and effort to enjoy these things, they started dumping them left and right. Good luck.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
My kayak

I bought a Perception Swifty 9'6" kayak from Dicks Sporting goods last year. It was a great deal at only $249.00 (listed at $380). It was the end of the season so the pricing was good. This time of year is peak pricing for any boating items, so buying used would save some bucks. The swifty gets great reviews, has somewhat of a flat bottom so its fairly stable and has enough room for overnight light camping. What ever you buy, make sure you get the right size, decent quality paddle to go with it.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
If you are planning on camping, don’t rule out a small solo canoe. They are seen in use less often than tandems but are a pleasure to paddle. Canoes can haul far more gear than a kayak, not to mention the fact that the gear will be much more accessible. I even paddle my 17’ tandem canoe on pine barrens streams by myself all the time with no problem. I sit in the bow seat facing backwards and my weight is distributed much better. And if you use a kayak paddle while solo paddling a canoe, you may never go back to a canoe paddle. No J-strokes or switching sides required!

I have both canoes and kayaks. You can’t beat a kayak for paddling directly or quartering into the wind on open water, but there are many other situations where I much prefer my canoe. But if you do get a kayak, don’t get one less than 12 feet long if you plan on any open water paddling. Shorter boats track very poorly on open water and can be exhausting in a wind. Even the canoes the liveries rent on rivers are a minimum of 16 feet, so a 12 foot kayak will not be a handicap. The shorter kayaks excel on whitewater where very quick, tight turns are often required. There are no conditions like that on our waters.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I want to get a kayak this spring. Dicks had some nice ones for a good price. Thay also had a kay-noe which is a one person canoe/kayak hybrid it looks like a canoe with a kayak seat in it, looks pretty cool.