Kayak Suggestions?

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
Just starting to look into maybe buying a kayak.

Looking for something to take me down the Mullica, Batsto, etc. - mostly short trips. Something easy to carry/light, yet tough.

Does anybody have experience with inflatables in the Pines? How much should one expect to spend? Ocean kayaks too long?

thks

PinesExplr said:
Just starting to look into maybe buying a kayak.

Looking for something to take me down the Mullica, Batsto, etc. - mostly short trips. Something easy to carry/light, yet tough.

Does anybody have experience with inflatables in the Pines? How much should one expect to spend? Ocean kayaks too long?

thks

I have a Wilderness Systems "Pamlico 120" (12' long) and love it. I would not get anything shorter than 10' or longer than 12'. The shorter the kayak the slower and lose of tracking. You definitely do not want a sit-on-top as you have to reach too far to paddle. I would think there is too much chance of puncture in the Pines for an inflatable.

Steve

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I probably wouldn't opt for an inflatable unless I had very limited space to store it. I have heard many stories of them popping, which would definitely suck! :( They are clumsy to paddle and not comfortable for long trips, IME.
You can get an affordable kayak at Dick's Sporting Goods or Harry's, something along the lines of $200 new. We have Dagger Elements which are great all around versatile boats, but these were a little more expensive. (also at Harry's).

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
i have an 11 foot kayak with an 47 inch long cockpit works real good in the pines
anything over 12 foot is a PIA in the pines and anything under 10 is hard to keep stright in open water, the smaller the kayak the less speed you can get out of them, stay away from infaltables, and high tech materials (light but expensive), just go with polyethelyine, also the narrower the less stable

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
thks

great info and insights.....thks a ton.

silly question, but what's the typical practice when kayaking alone (one vehicle, one kayak). Say I wanted to put in at Quaker Bridge and paddle down to Batsto (stash the kayak & hike?)....call a taxi?

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
bad idea to kayak alone, and always wear a PFD.....you never know when and if you may need help out af a real BAD situation
good program on NJN at 9PM tonight traveling the hamilton-trenton-bordentown marsh (turning the tide)
george and leona paddled the NJN film crew for this production, they lead kayak/canoe trips all year long through out the pines for the outdoor club of south jersey

PinesExplr said:

silly question, but what's the typical practice when kayaking alone (one vehicle, one kayak). Say I wanted to put in at Quaker Bridge and paddle down to Batsto (stash the kayak & hike?)....call a taxi?

What Stu said about paddling the pines alone. However, if you're confident in yourself you could arrange for a friend to meet you and pick you up. You just need to know for sure where you will end and how long it will take to get there.

Steve

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
onehand said:
good program on NJN at 9PM tonight traveling the hamilton-trenton-bordentown marsh (turning the tide)
george and leona paddled the NJN film crew for this production, they lead kayak/canoe trips all year long through out the pines for the outdoor club of south jersey
Thanks so much for posting this, Onehand, I really appreciate it. It was a great program, and really interesting to me as someone who grew up near the Meadowlands and who now lives on the edge of the Trenton Marsh. It makes me feel really good to see the very large impact of the environmental movement of the 80s on these areas firsthand. The meadowlands were polluted and smelly when I was a kid, and it makes my heart sing to see that it is now a flourishing habitat for so many species. :)

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
PinesExplr said:

Onehand has a point about paddling alone, but if it comes to that, and it is difficult to arrange for a pick up you might want to consider kayaking upstream and then back down again to your car/truck. Going upstream is not so bad in a kayak. What is a pain in a canoe is very do-able in a kayak. It is always easier going down stream so it is best to start going up stream.

Here is another way to go if you don't want to paddle upstream and don't want to have somebody meet you at a certain time: take two cars, drop one car off at the end of the trip. Drive the other car (with both people and kayak to start point. Unload kayak. the other person drives the pick up car back to the end point, leaves in non-pick up car and leaves pick up car for you when you get to the end. Did you follow all of that?

Jeff

Also, I have a 13'8" old town loon which I love but I can see the argument for a slightly shorter length. 12' is probably the best length for the barrens.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Canoeing upstream

It also depends what stream you are on. I fish at Harrisville and I can't get very far upstream on the Oswego in my 15' canoe, the water is too shallow and fast. On the Batsto, I can easily paddle far enough upstream to get a decent trip in since the water is deeper and slower. I paddle upstream for a few hours, then drift back to the lake and fish as I go. When canoeing alone, which is almost always for me, I make sure to wear a life jacket.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
canoeing alone ?

Hey piker 56, now that i have my canoe fixed give me a call and we'll do a sunday afternoon sometime ok?:eng101: <<<<<<<< you are an enganear

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
I just started kayaking but i've already been in many rivers and lakes in the area and hidden several paddle-to geocaches (yes, i'm bringing those stupid things up again!)

i know everybody's saying not to get an inflatable, but that's exactly what i did and i really like it. of course, i can't make performance comparisons with a hardshell cause i have no experience with one, but in my advanced elements inflatable i can keep a pace of 2-3mph upstream and 4-6mph downstream, which i don't think is all that bad. i started out with a $60 coleman inflatable from walmart to make sure i liked kayaking. that lasted a few trips, but on my way from the recycled bridge down to a cache at one of the islands in atsion lake, it popped and started to deflate. i paddled like mad to a nearby takeout and had to hike it back on a trail. the boat actually didn't get punctured by anything-a seam on the seat just burst under the pressure of my weight! needless to say, if you go inflatable avoid the colemans.

the advanced elements advancedframe has been an entirely different story. i got a great deal on it for only $250 for an '05 model (an '06 model is $380 and doesn't seem to be any different based on the packaging) at rei. i did have a problem with a leak in one of the risers after a few weeks of heavy use, but i took it right back to rei and they're shipping another one. i think that problem may have had more to do with me putting all of my weight on the risers when getting out than any defect with the boat itself. other than that, this boat sets up quick and performs superbly. it has aluminum frames in the bow and stern that supposedly really help performance. the air chambers are inside of a tough skin made up of rubber on the bottom of the boat and canvas on top, so even if you happened to get a puncture or leak (unlikely as it's very tough), you still have the air chambers intact keeping you afloat. the advancedframe is about 10.5 feet, which seems to be the perfect size for narrow piney rivers (try doing the upper mullica between jackson road and goshen with something longer!). they also make a convertible 1 or 2 person version of the boat that's longer and lets you move seats around to accomodate your trip. the convertible isn't on clearance on the rei website, but i was at the marlton rei store 2 days ago and they still had one of them left on clearance there.

my reasons for getting an inflatable over a hardshell were basically storage/transport concerns. i have a little crv with no roofrack or anything and i didn't wanna be messing around with trying to mount stuff up there. also, i'll be able to take the boat with me to school next year and just store it in its duffel bag in the back of my car, ready to yank it out, blow it up, and take a paddle at a moment's notice. how many other dorm-dwellers can say they brought an 11foot kayak with them?

an infatable is great if you need to save space, and the other nice thing about it is always having it with you. you don't need to go to the trouble of mounting a 60 pound hunk of plastic on your roof everytime you want to go boating...with the advancedframe, i'm able to happen upon a river or lake and just go paddle for a bit on a whim, and that feels really good.

so far i haven't found anyone else to paddle with so all my trips have been solo. after the first time i went out and almost couldn't make it back upstream past a strainer i realized about always going upstream first and coming downstream for the return trip. also, if you're looking for places to paddle i've found some great lakes, rivers, and put-in spots simply from studying google earth imagery. the only downside is google earth can't tell you if a lake is private :-p

if you're into that wretched geocaching game be sure to check out my paddle-to caches; they don't get nearly as much traffic so it's exciting when somebody finally visits one. my name on gc.com is electricheadx.

link for advancedframe clearance

my advancedframe on lake pachoango

malaga lake cache page (somegreat wildlife photos on here that i shot from my kayak)

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
WAMBA said:
i know everybody's saying not to get an inflatable, but that's exactly what i did and i really like it. of course, i can't make performance comparisons with a hardshell cause i have no experience with one

I fished for a few years out of an inflatable before I got my canoe and it worked out well. My main reason was storage. I can fish more areas now with a hardshell canoe though and not worry about punctures. I did get one once, from a broken bottle in shallow water.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
I'd suggest renting a few different types and getting a feel for what you want to buy.

The new 'sit on' models have expanded the whole sport. They are easier to use though I'd think the limited overhead clearance of some streams might limit a real explorer to a conventional model which is more aparel than boat...

I agree that 11 to 12 feet is the ideal length.

wis bang said:
The new 'sit on' models have expanded the whole sport. They are easier to use

A little personal insight. Last year I and three others kayaked the Wading from Rt 563 to Godfries(sp?) Bridge. Two of us in sit-ins and two on sit-on-tops. By the time we got to Hawnin's Bridge, about half way, the two sit-on-toppers were exhausted. They had a very hard time tracking and they had to reach further to paddle. For the Pines a sit-in is the way to go, IMHO. Sit-on-tops are great for the surf though.

Steve