Kayaking the Wading River today

fierodoug

Explorer
Jul 12, 2010
Browns Mills
Kayaked the Wading River for the first time today, what a nice trip it was with perfect weather and we had the whole river to ourself. We did Hawkins Bridge to Beaver Branch and it took us 6 hours with Geocaching along the way and lots of stops for photos and birdwatching. Was the perfect day away from the normal rat race of life.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Kayaked the Wading River for the first time today, what a nice trip it was with perfect weather and we had the whole river to ourself. We did Hawkins Bridge to Beaver Branch and it took us 6 hours with Geocaching along the way and lots of stops for photos and birdwatching. Was the perfect day away from the normal rat race of life.

Guess you left a car at Hawkin and one at Bodine? Any problems doing this? Was never sure if it was allowed or safe.

fierodoug

Explorer
Jul 12, 2010
Browns Mills
Yup, got your lunch break cache, and had lunch there
No liftovers or portages, clear the whole way
Left my car at Hawkin bridge, and my truck at Beaver branch. It is a real quick shuttle by car, like 15 or 20 minutes tops

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Gonna try to get out on the next nice weekend. This one looks pretty cruddy. The Oswego is a great trip if you haven't already done it. It gets pretty low come the dog days of summer, especially the flow between Martha and Harrisville. Its my favorite paddle in the pines, but should be done in spring/early summer.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
A few from this site have canoed upstream from Oswego. It's a great trip to do if you only have one vehicle. On a weekday, and most weekend days, you will have the stream to yourself. It is an absolutely beautiful trip! We parked at the old swimming area, paddled across the lake, went upstream 3 or 4 four hours, did some fishing, had lunch and then coasted back downstream. If you get a chance, give it a try. Enjoy!
Greg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A few from this site have canoed upstream from Oswego. It's a great trip to do if you only have one vehicle. On a weekday, and most weekend days, you will have the stream to yourself. It is an absolutely beautiful trip! We parked at the old swimming area, paddled across the lake, went upstream 3 or 4 four hours, did some fishing, had lunch and then coasted back downstream. If you get a chance, give it a try. Enjoy!
Greg

Yes, it is a great trip.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/oswego-lake-to-sim-place-2009.5615/

Guy

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Agreed Piker, it's beautiful up there...was hoping to canoe up there with TomM but the weather did NOT cooperate when I was up there in April...hopefully next time...did a Kayak trip up there in '96. The pickerel fishing should be awesome too!

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Agreed Piker, it's beautiful up there...was hoping to canoe up there with TomM but the weather did NOT cooperate when I was up there in April...hopefully next time...did a Kayak trip up there in '96. The pickerel fishing should be awesome too!

Yup, Furball. The pickerel fishing was really good, but the most memorable part of the trip was when both seats broke off of Tom's "bondo special" canoe. We laughed so hard I was sure we'd both have heart attacks.

Sounds like a great paddle along a great river! :D

WadingRiver.jpg